Problems equalizing my ears?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

" Adam's apple " technique ??

please elaborate

For lack of a better term....

did you, as a kid, ever make your Adam's apple move up & down ? This is somewhat like swallowing, except that the valves used in swallowing are not engaged.
Press the front ~ 1/4 of your tongue to the roof of your mouth, pinch your nose & pressurize, and make your Adam's apple move upward. After practicing this a few times, you'll be surprised at how little pressure is needed to make this work.
Watching the above-mentioned video was an excellent investment. We spend many hours learning all sorts of scuba skills ; this video is ~ one hour. One hour to learn skills that all scuba divers ( incl. your present / future buddies / students ) must have.
icon_smile.gif

Is holding your nose and swallowing a good way to equalize? I can sit here right now and do that and my ears will "pop". Something I couldnt do while I was snorkeling that day. Should I do this before I even go underwater?

I've found that at the beginning of the day, I have no problem equalizing my ears. However, as I ascend and descend throughout the day, it becomes more difficult. During my last descent this past weekend, my left ear just would not equalize. I "fought through" the pain anyway and my ear is still plugged and hurting a bit today (2 days later). Probably wasn't my smartest move ever...

In the original post, you mentioned that you were snorkling. so I assume that you were in a head down position. I find it is easier to egualize, at least at first in a head up position. I think you will find you have less problems with scuba because it is easier to descend in a head up position.

Back
Top Bottom