Problems equalizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fantastic video. Although I have never had a problem equalizing it's great information to have around. I usually have to manually equalize in the first 30 feet or so but after that I can equalize by either blowing through my nose or swallowing. Seems the deeper I get the less trouble it is. I feel for those who have trouble with this.

Don't need a script for afrin, flonase I think you do. ANother thing is to gently start equalizing very early - like on the way to the dive site! I do this every time and have yet to have an issue. No different than going up a mountain of flying. I start equalizing on the way and just go real gentle. It stretches the tubes and seems to condition them. One thing I have noticed as soon as I started diving on a regular basis is that I'm more sensitive to pressure changes when driving up said mountain or flying and actually need to do it sometimes. Another thing that works as I have had a chronic sinus issue since I was a kid is a 12 hour sudafed 30-40 minutes before diving unless I'm doing tech and diving mix. Then if I need something I don't do the dive.

Don't get stressed because after 50 dives you are still having troubles clearing. For some folks it's just easier than others, so do not get pressured (even if self-inflicted) to descend faster than your ears will let you. Believe me, ear problems are not worth the competition on who can get to depth the fastest.
Try to learn new techniques ... something out there will work for you. And like stated earlier, it does get easier over time.

After watching the video, the technique of swallowing really worked for me. I was never taught this technique and it seems to work pretty good.

Also, when I first started diving, I had issues with a little bit of blood in my mask. During the dive things are ok. It was on the ascent that I noticed a little blood in the mask, from my nose. Nothing gushing...just a little.
I have a friend that bleeds quite a bit through his nose. I'm sure that most of his problem is that he doesnt equalize on his way down. He sinks like a rock. But, the blood is fairly evident throughout the dive.

Does anyone know what this happens? Someone told me it was because of hemeraging in the sinuses.

Does anyone else have a similar problem? Am I doing it wrong?

How are you trying to equalize? When I started taking my OW classes my instructor told me to hold my nose and blow. I tried. No luck. Ever. I tried getting down, my ears wouldn't clear, and I got frustrated.

What I realized is that I'm not one of the people who can equalize that way. The way I do it is by looking up - almost straight up - and swallowing. That does it every time for me, and I've never had a problem since. Same technique I use on an airplane.

Maybe that will work for you, or maybe there's other tricks that will. I know my instructor said that the more you work on it, the easier it gets. Your ears eventually adjust and clear easier. I was worried when I did my first ocean dives off West Palm Beach, FL because I'd never been down that far before. (about 50 feet, and my previous lowest depth was about 30 feet) I had no problem and was pleasantly surprised at the fact that it went so easily once I figured out how to do it.

Good luck and keep trying. You'll find something that'll work for you.

I'm repeating myself here, in case anyone missed it - but anyone having any difficulties at all would be well advised to spend an hour watching the video. Don't critic it on acting or production, it's not a TV show - but it has help so many. My home buddy used to fight this every trip until he watched the vid and tried some alternative approaches given. No more problem. :thumb: The link was given previously here, but it is currently in my sig below...

Awesome video. I have problems with my left ear but am eager to try out some new techniques in the pool soon.

That earwax was making me nauseous, though...

Back
Top Bottom