Problems of reading AVCHD videos on macs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, can anyone tell me how you can view and edit AVCHD videos on macs 'cause i can't find any solutions. i had to switch to MP4 format instead to be able to read it on macs, AVCHD simply doesn't work. Now I shot videos I can't even view, any solution ?
Seems that AVCHD only works on Win machines.

contact sony online help.

Code:
Hi, can anyone tell me how you can view and edit AVCHD videos on macs 'cause i can't find any solutions. i had to switch to MP4 format instead to be able to read it on macs, AVCHD simply doesn't work. Now I shot videos I can't even view, any solution ?
Seems that AVCHD only works on Win machines.

the fastest solution is download VLC media player for mac... it's incredible but quicktime is useless for AVCHD files! :wink:
but there are many solutions, do a search on Google "avchd mac os x player" ! and I recommend using well my wetlenses! :D
happy new year!!
fabio

I have the same problem. I can play the videos on VLC but I cannot use the Mac Preview to preview the .MTS files which sucks...

So I have to convert them to .MP4 using Wondershare Video Converter.

I can import both .MTS and .MP4 to FCPX.

There is no need to convert you just need to rewrap them. The Mts are made of an h264 stream for video and an ac-3 audio. To be fully imovie compliant you need to change the container to mov and the audio ideally to PCM. Clipwrap is my favourite program to do that as it also gives you additional features

There is no need to convert you just need to rewrap them. The Mts are made of an h264 stream for video and an ac-3 audio. To be fully imovie compliant you need to change the container to mov and the audio ideally to PCM. Clipwrap is my favourite program to do that as it also gives you additional features

Oh thanks for that tip!

When I use ClipWrap to convert from .MTS to .MOV files and I choose the "Format" option: Apple Pro Res 422, the output files are about 700 MB when the originals are only 60 MB.

If I select the option Rewrap I get files with the same size, around 60 MB but from what I read on their website it's better to use the Apple Pro Res 422 option if you're going to edit the videos on FCPX (which is my case).

Not sure what to do...

Last edited:
to use imovie: you can convert your MTS videos as MP4 using 'handbrake'

Back
Top Bottom