problems with certification class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This sounds like a complete "cover your ass" response from the dive shop. Seriously. That long to say you didn't pass? Like hell.

I took a scuba diver certification class in August, 2011. I paid the fee, attended the classroom instruction, participated in the certification dives, and took the NAUI certification exam.
Did you complete all the required certification dives? If I recall NAUI requires 5 open water dives

Four months later, I gave up on the email/calling route and I drove up to the shop itself to try and get an answer. At this point the owner then informed me that I wouldn’t be getting a card (first time I was informed of this), that I needed additional instruction to meet the certification guidelines (also the first time I was told this), and that this additional instruction would cost extra money. He was unclear about exactly what additional instruction I needed specifically, but said he would contact the instructor and get back to me next week.
These are not the stories anyone wants to read about, regardless of agency, it gives the industry a black eye.
I agree with posts above about sending a certified letter to the store requesting in writing what other requrements will be needed.
I would also CC NAUI and include a description of what you were required to do. Number of academics, pool sessions and open water dives and include the skills you remember doing along with locations.
I know it can be an emotional subject buy try to keep emotion out of the conversation. Just the facts mam ~ Sargent Joe Friday

Well there is always 2sides to the story... First of all as a NAUI instructor if you fail I am required to give you an explanation in writing... If I do not then I am in violation of the standards and procedures. Not a good thing... The dive shop really has nothing to do with your certification. This is done thru the instructor. We are not required to pass you just because you paid. Not to do so without an explanation seems odd. The response you have quoted from NAUI is also un-usual... We are definitely missing a piece to this puzzle. PM your info and I will get it resolved, I am friends with a few of the BOD's.

Brendon is right, the instructor should have notified you in writing specifically about what you are lacking to complete certification. Continue your course with the Training department at NAUI HQ, they are the ones that can help get resolution. Keep records of everything, stick to the facts.

Just to play devil's advocate and I agree that based on what has been posted there should have been a better solution. However, is what posted the complete story? Just because you have passed a written exam and can clear water from your mask does not mean you have achieved a comfort level necessary for certification.

Be open minded, maybe a little more time in the water could be beneficial.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. I paid the fee to the shop. I actually tried to dispute the charge through my credit card, but visa told me that I would likely not get very far as technically the shop had provided a service in the form of the class.

I did contact NAUI through their contact page.

I received the following reply:

"I need more information to help locate your record. Please email me
your contact information including full name, address, phone, email,
date of birth, the course dates and instructor name. It will speed the
process if you have log book entries signed by your instructor and a
copy of your temporary certification card."

I gave all of the information I could, but explained that I was never informed about log book entries and obviously didn't have a temporary certification card (hence the problem). I sent the email on December 8th and have yet to hear back from NAUI.

Not sure where to go from here.

Since you paid the dive shop, I would suggest making a report of the incident through the local Better Business Bureau. Include the dive shop and instructor names and copy the dive shop and instructor. As always most of the advice received here has been excellent and well worth following.

Personally, at this point I would be looking at getting even. I'd picket the store. Be sure to stay on public property (sidewalk) and take a witness. Nice big sign stating your complaint. Let the shop know you are going to picket and give the local newspaper an anonymous tip. If the cops show up and ask you to leave, please do what they ask. Not telling you to do this, only saying what I would be tempted to do. lol

...//...The dive shop really has nothing to do with your certification. This is done thru the instructor. We are not required to pass you just because you paid. ...//....

All true, but the dive shop took some of your money specifically for the certification process and thus they have a "good business" responsibility to help resolve issues like this for you. Mine does.

It sounds like you talk to the instructor directly. Taking the course does not guarantee certification, but I have not met an instructor who was not willing to work a couple of extra sessions with a student to get them thru the skills. Usually the only fees involved are quarry entry fees but that is between you and them. I taught a class where the student was at the quarry all weekend but was not able to successfully do any of the required skills and they thought they would talk away with the card, and I had to explain it does not work that way. With that said, this spring we will be back in the pool with her for another 4 hours so she can try it again in open water. It is tough to tell a student they are going home empty handed, but they should have talked to you about this as soon as they realized that there was an issue.

newbiescuba,
Please don't let your experience sour you on diving. The vast majority of shops and instructors are reputable. Your post is valuable to everyone that reads it, so they can learn from it. Shop owners and instructors need to learn that they must communicate clearly what the requirements for certification are, what the student is paying for, and what is left to accomplish after every phase of your training. Shop owners and instructors need to communicate clearly with customers and students following their class to make sure that all paperwork is timely filed , and follow up to see that proper certification credentials are issued. All of that is the duty of the shop AND the instructor. You did not get what you paid for, if in fact your fee covered all training( including open water dives) through the issuance of your certification card. If that is what you paid for, you can and should demand of the shop and the instructor that they deliver the card without delay, or refund you money with interest. If they don't, the lawyer in me says you should sue them (in a small claims court if you have that where you live) and you will get your money back. I would also warn people away from that shop and that instructor.
They are, in my opinion as a dive professional and an attorney, without excuse. Feel free to private message me if you want to discuss your legal position further.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom