Problems with Oceanic VTX Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevinutah

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just purchased an Oceanic VTX color display computer late in 2016. The VTX is now being returned- the screen that looks so nice in a dark room, is useless in daylight setting, even when set on 100% brightness. In clear water, you still cannot read the display at most depths to say 90 feet without cupping your hand over the display. Also, after just 5 days of two tank dives, the new batteries again needed to be changed in the wrist computer (transmitter was Ok). Because of the battery problem (posted all over the net in reviews), and especially the screen that is black background and color text making it impossible to really use. I not only would not recommend this computer, but actually think Oceanic should recall the VTX as it is mostly useless in typical daytime diving settings. I may try the OC!, but worried after Oceanic put this VTX out being so useless.

Yep this computer was originally released under their Aeris brand and when that brand was discontinued they re-branded it as a Oceanic VTX. The color OLED display seemed like a no brainer evolution in displays but in reality this particular display is a power pig and this problem has been complained about since release. Its unfortunate because Oceanic has always had a great line of computers. I suspect the development costs on this particular unit were excessive and they have decided to ride this mule into the dirt in an attempt to recover the development costs.

I have been having the same problems with this POS VTX. I wonder how many other people are disappointed or have just thrown the thing in the dust bin. I wish there was a way to take a survey of Scuba Board members to see how many unhappy VTX owners there are out there. It would be great if we could start a Class Action Lawsuit to get Oceanic to make good on this product.

I'm still using the first generation of this line, which was the VT Pro. Between me and my GF we have 6 of them, primary and not one, but two backups since they're no longer supported.

It's a full featured computer that does pretty much everything it's predecessors do, for a fraction of the cost, if you can even find them anymore.

Going to have to agree. I got one for my son, and even though I love the interface, it doesn't matter if you cant see it. Not only did he go through two batteries in a week, we had to string an SPG to the other HP port because of the battery drain and because he found it simpler for those checks.

Back
Top Bottom