Proear mask...this is what I received!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott M

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As stated I just received the ProEar I bought. This is what I got for my money.

Upon arrival, I opened the mask case to find one of the tubes that connects to the ear piece not attached. The little clear holder ring was no where to be found. Ok, that's not a big deal to fix myself. Upon further inspection I found the one on the other side was cracked also. Even though this is unacceptable for a new product, I absolutely hate returning shipped items so I fixed the problem myself with zip ties.

Once that issue was taken care of I put the mask on to test for fit which it seems to quite well. However when I perform the suction test the right tube allows air to be drawn from the ear cover. The left does not allow any. So basically no way to do the test to see if I have a tight fit. I'm assuming the one way valve is defective and since the valve is not working the mask will not function as designed. This I can not fix.

Oh, one more thing the mask came with a tear on the left inner ear seal.

The above description is basically what I sent to the manufacturer and where I bought it. I am not asking them for a replacement or a refund. I will be tossing the mask, I do not have the time to be running back and fourth to UPS to return products that I bought in good faith. This just goes with the territory. Besides, I bought the mask for a trip I am leaving for on the 20th of October. A $50 education.

With what I found in a brand new mask and reading of the problem another user has just listed on the forums here regarding a different issues all together, I'm not sure I would trust the mask to dive with now anyway.

Quick update;

I purchased this mask from Scubatoys, I wrote to them as I stated above "not" to get another mask but to make them aware of a product with possibly a quality control issue. I just heard from them and they are making things right which was not asked for but greatly appreciated. I know had I asked for a return or replacement they would have done it with out question.

Scubatoys is an outstanding company to deal with!!!!!!

Can't imagine why you would get a clearly defective product and just toss it. Probably could have gone to the PO in the time you spent trying to fix it.

And UPS does pickups, just a call to whereever you bought something, let them arrange it, leave item out, done.

This should be in whine and cheese.

I love it when people purchase over the Internet, receive an item that is not working and proceed to bash the company without attempting to have the issue resolved.

If you don't have time to deal with issues that can arise when purchasing mail order, then don't purchase mail order.

If that's not good enough, and you still want to purchase mail order... stop complaining about something you CHOOSE not to deal with.

I file this under "too cheap and too lazy"

CoolTech:

I love it when people purchase over the Internet, receive an item that is not working and proceed to bash the company without attempting to have the issue resolved.

If you don't have time to deal with issues that can arise when purchasing mail order, then don't purchase mail order.

If that's not good enough, and you still want to purchase mail order... stop complaining about something you CHOOSE not to deal with.

Didn't sound like a whine to me. It was a very clear unemotional report of a product purchase with a clear follow up on the vendor. He was more than willing to work with what he got until it just wouldn't work. So far the whiner is you. I'm going to look at this product now and see what it's advertised as. Thanks Scott, I didn't know this product even existed.

Carl

CoolTech:

Easy now, I never asked for a return or a refund. I ordered on-line and I understand the risks. That is my choice. What I did with the mask once I owned it is up to me.

My post was to give a heads up to anybody buying one of these masks. I didn't bash anybody I told the truth about what I bought and what I received. Thats bashing? I hardly think so. Would it be better if I said nothing and someone got one like this and did not notice the problem then had an issue diving?

Your right I didn't have the time. I said that. Did I not? Did I ask for a return? Did I ask for a refund?

You are way off base here.

As for resolving it, Proear should have better quality control. That mask never should have left the factory. Period.

Scubatoys rocks!!!

GDCB:
Didn't sound like a whine to me. It was a very clear unemotional report of a product purchase with a clear follow up on the vendor. He was more than willing to work with what he got until it just wouldn't work. So far the whiner is you. I'm going to look at this product now and see what it's advertised as. Thanks Scott, I didn't know this product even existed.

Carl

Carl,

Your welcome. Thanks to Scubatoys I will be diving one of these on my upcoming trip so I will let you know how I make out.

Thanks for the straight forward heads up report and the follow up on ScubaToys. Goes to show they are a "stand up" outfit to take action without you asking for any!
Definitely, not a whine!

Damselfish:
Can't imagine why you would get a clearly defective product and just toss it. Probably could have gone to the PO in the time you spent trying to fix it.

And UPS does pickups, just a call to whereever you bought something, let them arrange it, leave item out, done.

LOL, I know it makes no sense but I know me and how busy I am (my daughter is a fastpitch softball player and we play/practice every night after work, not to mention her team is 2 1/2 hours away, thats one way, so between the family, work, keeping up with the house and softball I really do not have a minute to myself. Any the little bit of time I do get I have to use wisely. Getting this mask back would not have been a priority right now and by the time I get back from the trip, getting the mask back will be a distant memory I will forget about until I stumble over it. So in essence I am just saving a step.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom