Professional Dive Boat - EPIC FAIL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I definitely scale the tip to fit the service, and I'm particularly responsive to bait and switch, or being taken for granted. One time in the Keys, we got hustled into 50 and 35 minute profiles on Looe Key - it turns out the two crew just wanted us off the boat so they could take the boss's boat to go back out and dive themselves. I'm just saying in my observation it's become a cultural norm that paying for the job includes paying the crew directly.

I don't like the high cost of boat diving either, but I empathize with the crews, who usually don't make much but without whose devotion to my time - arguably at least somewhat to their cost personally - I couldn't get out for the dive. So, I usually tip them.

Dude! I thought this thread was put to bed!?

TIPS = To Insure Proper Service. Yes? No?

I do not agree with asking for tips. I have received plenty over the years and they are MUCH APPRECIATED! Thank you! But I would never come out and ask for one.

Many of you may have seen this sign on a dive boat:

"Wind and Waves May Tip this Boat, but Only YOU can Tip the Crew!"

Kinda cool, in a subliminal, humorous sort of way I guess...

My favorite one is for AFTER getting that unexpected bonus...

"Big Tippers Go To Heaven!"

You can use that if you like...

Anyways, looks like this thread was hijacked... it's about the Dive Boat's Epic Fail... not about Tipping... there are PLENTY of threads here on SB on that subject... just saying...

(By the way, the diving was pretty awesome yesterday.... want to see a few pics?)

1-8-12 Diving Five Caves 008.jpg1-8-12 Diving Five Caves 038.jpg1-8-12 Diving Five Caves 050.jpg

I just want to go to shaka's shop and say i want to dive the backwall and ride the sea turtles, i brought my goggles and flippers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom