Progression through TDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mainedvr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Want to take some tech courses, someone said that Intro was optional dependent on boyancy control and skill of the diver.. And that the first two classes can be taken in tandem. Can someone elaborate on this.

Intro to Tech is not a prerequisite for Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures. That said many instructors will want to see Intro to Tech/GUE fundies style classes to demonstrate that the student has at least a basic understanding of the various fin kicks, buoyancy, lift bag, and technical diving specific equipment.

Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures have a very high amount of overlap in terms of skills and practical application. Even though they are listed as two separate courses they are really one long course that requires 6 OW dives and at least 1 classroom session/day. You would be hard pressed to find an instructor that could teach one of the classes without giving you the knowledge and skills necessary for the other.

Intro to Tech is optional. A woman with Cave diver certification came to me for that, and I told her not to bother with the intro course.

Not only can Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures be taken together, they SHOULD be taken together. The dives for the Advanced Nitrox course are borderline silly without decompression. When you do the dives classes together, the instructor is allowed to redo the skill sequence for the dives to a way that makes much more sense. (You can also skip a dive.)

I am taking intro to tech because it is one of the courses that can be applied toward sdi advanced diver plus it would be beneficial at this stage of my diving leading up to an/dp. I am skipping over a vanilla type of course and going for one that for me has more substance.

Likes others have said, if bouyancy, diving doubles/valve drills, finning, need work it might be good for you but it is not required. I am expecting to have that all down before an/dp. Take a look at the course standards and see if you are proficient in the skills covered to decide whether it would be beneficial to take.

https://www.tdisdi.com/wp-content/u...DI Diver Standards_03_Intro_to_Tech_Diver.pdf

I am taking intro to tech because it is one of the courses that can be applied toward sdi advanced diver plus it would be beneficial at this stage of my diving leading up to an/dp. I am skipping over a vanilla type of course and going for one that for me has more substance.

Likes others have said, if bouyancy, diving doubles/valve drills, finning, need work it might be good for you but it is not required. I am expecting to have that all down before an/dp. Take a look at the course standards and see if you are proficient in the skills covered to decide whether it would be beneficial to take.

https://www.tdisdi.com/wp-content/uploads/files/sandp/currentYear/TDI/part 2/pdf/individual/TDI Diver Standards_03_Intro_to_Tech_Diver.pdf

KDAD,
What instructor/shop are you going through?

Back
Top Bottom