Project Aware?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JShew

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi, it's been awhile since I was on here and not sure if I got this in the right place.
I'm a PADI DM and dive contractor. I try when I can to give a few dollars to Project Aware and think what they are trying to is a good thing.
I have sent them email asking if they did anything like that in InLand water but no answer. I have also noticed that PADI and others like it don't touch much on the topic of InLand water diving here in the U.S. and would like to hear from any other divers if there is a program or what they do about inland water conservation?
Thanks and CHARLIE MIKE!

They certainly should do in my opinion. I went back to my old hometown in Wales last year and the river area there was a mess. I wanted to get in touch with the school and get the kids to do a clean up in conjunction with AWARE but i was not at home long enough. It's clearly beneficial for the sea that the rivers that run in to it are clean too.

I guess you are talking more about lakes but still I agree that AWARE should cover them, their mission is:

Project AWARE Foundation conserves underwater environments through education, advocacy and action.

Underwater environments are not limited to the ocean

Thanks for the reply. I should be more clear on InLand water ways, rivers, lakes, bayous, ect.
I know that most agencies like to push everything about the oceans and travel, due to being high vis and all. But one would think that the agencies would also push more on what Countries have to offer in their InLand waters. It just seems everything about diving these days, is geared to the ocean. Maybe all of us divers should pich in a get a both at DEMA and push what Inland Water has to offer and what we can do to protecT or better it.
CHARLIE MIKE...

In my area (North Central Texas) there has been a push for quite some time to improve education concerning not only ocean awareness, but the relationship of all aquatic environments to marine systems. I'm a professional educator, and I've used resources such as the Texas River Center (San Marcos, Texas) and the River Systems Institute (Texas State University) in addition to the Flower Garden Banks NMS (NOAA) to weave together materials that trace water from the watershed to the ocean and explore issues vital to understanding the importance of both freshwater and marine environments. I try to be as comprehensive as possible, and I share as much of that information as I can with other teachers through a variety of venues. And, of course, I also rely upon my experiences, video, and photos gained through diving to reinforce and add interest to the water studies.
While I do not know of any particular Project Aware program that specifically targets inland water sources, I have used some of their materials to reinforce topics within course curricula.

I think you would need to call them and suggest a plan that you would like to work on then they would tell you if they would offer any funding.

Randy

Last edited:
According to the website, AWARE was formed orginally by PADI people (although that could mean PADI instructors, not actual employees - I don't know so would like to hear if anybody actually knows the history) but since 1992 they have been an independent non-profit organisation.

I know that in other countries there are dedicated bodies to look after some inland waterways - rivers and lakes authorities and so on, but think AWARE's focus is more on the side of the "typical" tropical dive destination that form the bulk of the recreational market. These are, after all, the places with the most exposure to divers and also with some of the most visible repercussions in terms of reef degradation by local development and the tourist industry.

For sure inland waterways need to be protected - I have no idea if AWARE is doing anything with them, but they kinda have their hands full as it is. But - there are millions of rivers and only one ocean... who could look after everything.

"Stop chucking stuff into the water that doesn't belong there, and stop taking out the stuff that does."

Crowley

Thanks so much for the responses. I know when we have a place that we dive at regularly we try to do what we can to pick up and remove the debris when we are there or at least schedule a dive specific to clean up of the site.

I was sent this in a email response from the Folks at Project Aware.

Hi James,

Thank you for contacting us. Sorry James but not directly. Our effort here is limited to scuba leaders who organize cleanups in their local lakes and rivers and a section of an AWARE kids program that speaks to water conservation efforts. But our focus is on ocean and ocean related issues.

As this point, the foundation staff and board are in the midst of a strategic review process, to include all programs and activities. One of the aims is to better align our grant-giving with a new vision, mission and goals for the future of the organization, its supporters and the environment.

Please stay in touch with us via our newsletter, facebook or twitter, for new opportunities coming in mid 2011.

Best regards,

Ania Budziak

Science and Policy Officer
Project AWARE Foundation
30151 Tomas, Suite 200
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688-2125 USA
Phone: 866.80.AWARE ext. 2377 or 949.858.7657 ext. 2377
Fax: 949.267.1221

So it looks like there could be some help from Project Aware for clubs that have inland water projects.

Yeh, I spend most of my time diving Inland water as dive contractor and when I am off with friends diving it is mostly in Inland waters. It would be nice if any of the dive agencies would at least dedicate a program or area on their sites to what fresh water or Inland water diving. But I do realise where the money is...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom