Proof of Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ironcat

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a few friends who are SSI cert and they all have their picture on their cards.
Another friend has an old old (I mean old) YMCA card which is pretty much all handwritten.
I am NAUI but my card just has my name on it and no way to say I am really me at all.

Just wondering how some of the more "on their toes" operators might make sure that the card belongs to the person going underwater...

Also, I recently dove with someone who asked my cert number for his dive log. And I just realized, never even thought about it really, but my NAUI card does not have a cert number on it. I have heard my cert number is my SS#, it's just my name, any NAUI pros know what the deal is with that?

forget the cert number...many agencies don't issue one and some agencies that do issue a cert # or student number change this number every time you do another course until you get to pro level (then it stays the same).

C-cards are usually just accepted, but they could always compare your name to the name on your DL (which should have a photo). Photos on c-cards aren't all that useful anyway. YMCA used to have them, but stopped about 5 or 6 years ago. Keep in mind c-cards are good for life, the photos on my cards no longer look like me at all. My son is now older than I was when the pics were taken.

As for numbers, when the number is requested, write, "SS#." Do not give the the actual number.

trucker girl:
PADI has pictures too. And those pictures on the PADI cards lie... in real life I look like a 20-year-old starlet...

WHY ARE YOU LAUGHING?!?!?

You should see my pic, it'll give you nightmares..........

I'm NAUI as well.
If your card doesn't have a cert # (they vary by when you got it)
Then your cert # is the last 4 digits of your SS#.
Although, you don't have to give them out....just pick 4 numbers
or bring some form of picture ID.

My cave and technical cards don't have photos on them. As for the cert numbers, just like alcina said, forget them. The only time I write my cert number is when I'm signing a student's log. Otherwise I just sign my name.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom