Proper kick technique?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've just finished my PADI open water certification. Possibly it does have kick illustrations in the book. I'll have to check in the a.m.

Although fins are not new to me, using them with scuba equipment is. I had a similar question, and was wondering if I was being truley efficient. I really learned a lot from swimming around in a pool without the scuba gear on and varying the kick to see what worked the best. I also tried watching my fins move (while on my side and back) to see what movement caused the best results. I found that my kick wasn't that far off, but I found some ways to make it more comfortable as well as efficient.

TSandM:
Is THIS the video you had in mind?
It has worked great for me. Except under extreme need of power (strong current) I use this style almost all of the time. My speed is good enough, I do not kick up silt, and I have less problems with ham string and calf cramps. (SAC rate doesn't count with me, if mine gets any lower, check me for rigor mortis)

Stan

Olivia Chillia:
I'm going for my final check out dive for open water tomorrow night. I've been thinking about this and that and it occurred to me that we were never taught how to kick. About all I know is that the kick should ideally come from the hips...
I'm glad you're trying to learn things in spite of your instructor. This is so basic and so important, I've got to wonder what else your instructor didn't teach you. Teaching should mean so much more than showing you where something is in a book, or directing you to a picture of a skill. Unfortunately, many instructors are in a rush to certify rather than teach.

At some point, you might get interested in further dive training. If you do, ask your next instructor if your class will/can include pool work. Many instructors don't include pool work in an advance class, but some do, and this is a wonderful time to refine and corrrect skills. In the meantime, the tips you'll get here can give you some good opportunities to learn. Good luck and good diving.

MB, I'm comfortable with what we learned as far as safety in the basic OW class. I wonder whether the instructor didn't say anything about kicks because our kicks looked fine. Certainly that would be the best scenario, but I do believe I'll speak to him about it when I speak to him about not telling horror stories in the classroom.

SparticleBrane:
If you are hitting things under you while "frog kicking" then you are not performing it correctly. Most likely you are dropping your knees; perhaps this will be sorted out in your cavern class. Also if your dad is hitting things, it might be time to back away from the reef a bit until he can get his buoyancy under better control. :)

Maybe they are using splits. I had to change the angles and foot placement of my frog kick when I changed from my US Divers Rocket fins to my new Tusa Splits to get any kind of thrust.

I really like a dolphin kick and with splits I need more knee bend than with other styles of fin.

Olivia Chillia:
MB, I'm comfortable with what we learned as far as safety in the basic OW class. I wonder whether the instructor didn't say anything about kicks because our kicks looked fine. Certainly that would be the best scenario, but I do believe I'll speak to him about it when I speak to him about not telling horror stories in the classroom.
Teaching is way more than just reducing threats to safety. There are scads of skills that new divers can and should learn: 3-4 different kicks, 3-4 water entries, etc etc etc. Unfortunately, many new divers never realize what they didn't learn (they don't know what they don't know), and interpret an instructor's personal enthusiasm (or story telling ability) as good teaching. Lots of instructors like to tell war stories - frankly, the time is usually better spent teaching basic skills and diving science. When I hear that a new diver was never taught (thus never had an opportunity to develop mastery in) important basics like different fin kicks, it makes me sad that the student has missed such cool, and important, stuff. But you're asking good questions, and you're getting good replies - that's a good thing!

Ok, so I understand there are lots of different kicks for different times... but how do I know what I'm doing??? I 'feel' like I do what I need at any given moment and it changes frequently... but honestly, I can't see myself... and I'm quite sure I have a completely unrealistic sense of my own grace in the water! lol

how do I improve and find out how I'm doing... I don't want other divers to be saying "OMG, did you see that girl trying to kick??? what a lost cause!" I would prefer to look like I know what I'm doing (completely false of course, but hey... )

Thanks

AmyJ: People may "sugarcoat" or just not now themselves what you´re supposed to look like, video doesen´t lie and is a lot harder to "brush off" than verbal feedback...

Most digital cameras have the ability to shoot film as well, just ask your buddy to shoot a few clips during your next dive and you´ll know what you look like...

well that is certainly a scary idea.... :) lol but an effective one I guess... sigh... I hate moments of truth!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom