proper way to sharpen a knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... Chef's Choice line of electric sharpeners ...
Yah, I picked one up at a St. Vinnie's shop for a couple bucks, one of my better scores.
I gave the critter to a buddy that has a pile of those expensive high carbon steel chef's knives that are such a pain in the neck to sharpen.
It worked OK once the initial bevels were ground on the blades. It doesn't work on the thicker blades as on most dive knives & any serrated edges.

rgerman95 once bubbled...
Anybody tried the Chef's Choice line of electric sharpeners? I hear they are a great way to remove the drudgery from the chore of knife sharpening.

I wouldn't use an electric sharpener on any knife you really care about; I've seen them really mess up a blade.

This laskey systme (or other similar) are great. The key think is to keep the angle between the blade and the harpener constant. The laskey and similar systems do this for you.

once you get it sharp, keep it sharp with the same sharpner set to the same angle. don't sharpen with the kitchen sharpner then the laskey with out carefully checking that they sharpen the same.

I use a Graco system (similar to the laskey) for many tools, hunting, hiking and dive knives. I use an electric chef's choice for my kitchen knives. A steel or strop afterward removes the wire edge. A buffing wheel works too, just don't let the knife get hot.

For a dive knife you probably want a reliativly large angle (23 to 26 degrees). This will be sharp, but hold up to heavy cutting. . (A stright razor is sharpened to about 19). the Chef's hoice does about 21 or 22 degrees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom