Pros & Cons of Air2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lungdvb

Reaction score
HI Everyone!!!

I'm thinking of getting an AIR2 into my BC, but heard different opinions on it. Is it true this device very sensitive in terms of getting faulty and hard to maintenance? I need your opinions... Thanks...

KISS...

Keep it super simple, the air 2 is more of a marketing gimmick than a useful item and has some bad things about it.

It is heavier and bulkier than a normal inlfator deflator,

It requires the Donor to exchange mouthpieces where as a normal octopus does not.

etc etc

There are other reasons, but this topic has been covered many times, try using the search button for air 2, you will find lots of info and opinions.

Thanks. Now i know what KISS means...

Just to throw out another related question. Are most of you regularly change to your octopus UW from time to time as just to make sure its functioning? As using Air2, your 2nd stage always problem-free as you hand-over to your buddy when in need.

Keep smiling with bubbles blow to my face...

The Air 2 issue is sort of a hot button. Some people like them and some people don't and in my experience, many who don't have not actually used one.

They are virtually maintenence free and will normally go 3-4 years before needing service. By virtue of their positioning and their constant use, they do stay much cleaner than a conventional octo and I have never had one get full of sand, grave, mud etc. They also tend to come into the shop much cleaner and in better general working condition than the average octo so there is a lot to be said for the underlying premise of the design.

Ideally, you should use your octo on every dive to ensure it works and to keep the crap flushed out of it. In practice, many divers never use the octo. I see several each season come through the shop that are basically non functional and would not deliver an adequate amount of air in an emergency. Some will have stuck exhaust valves and others will be full of all manner of debris and a few will be badly corroded in critical areas and have obviously never been rinsed. In this regard, the self cleaning nature of the Air 2 is a signifcant advantage, particularly when you conisder that statistically you will be the one trying to breath off the alternate air source, not your out of air buddy.

Some techs have problems with slight leaks after servicing Air 2's but this is generally the result of not replacing the small o-ring around the orifice. If you don't replace it, a very slight leak is nearly inevitable. Internally they are a very simple downstream 2nd stage design and use the soft seat as the R190.

With an Air 2 you do have to donate your primary, but that is good practice anyway especially if you are using a long hose. In 2 out of the 3 air sharing situations I have been in, I was mugged for my primary on 2 of them. So donating the primary is a more realistic way to plan anyway and in that situation, the Air 2 is always very easy to find and access which can be a key advantage.

With a more technical configuration using doubles and a backup second stage, there is no real reason to have an Air 2 and consequently many of the technical types tend to lead the charge in condemning the Air 2. But for more normal recreational single tank diving it does offer some advantages and is worth considering.

For solo diving with a pony and Air 2 is nearly ideal as it provides the capability of having a backup 2nd stage on the primary tank with out the problem of an octo getting in the way of or getting confused with the pony bottle's second stage.

The Air 2 is a very good balanced inflator and also works very well for inflating lift bags. In cold water it can be particularly valuable in that role as if it freezes up, it can be disconnected for a few seconds. Not something you can do with an octo or primary second stage.

In my opinion, the pros outweigh the cons and I think they can be a good addition depending on the type of dives you do and your configuration.

Given that I dive primarily doubles on deeper dives I no longer use an Air 2 as it requires a much longer corrogated inflator hose than I prefer to use with my BP/wing, but I still encounter situations where one would come in handy now and then.

Do some research, get several opinons and then make your own decision as to how it fits with your type of diving and configuration. You definitely do not want to decide one way or the other soley because of what an opinionated SB member said.

The biggest problem with an AIR 2 or equivalent is that you no longer have an alternate air source for the donor should the inflator hose need disconnecting or if it is accidentally disconnected. I have seen it disconnected accidently twice. Once in a pool when it was bumped (Zeagle version) and once during checkouts in a quarry (SP version). I witnessed the Zeagle become dislodged. I can only assume the other did not do a predive check as should have been done. Neither incident ended badly, but if these people were new and out there on their own, who knows what could have happened.

Another point, not that I wouldn't call the dive in this situation even without this setup, but you really have to call a dive when you disconnect one of these things. I have seen many people say they learned to orally inflate should they need to disconnect and actually proceed to make the dive. Hello! Where is your alternate air source for donating?

DA Aquamaster:
The Air 2 issue is sort of a hot button. Some people like them and some people don't and in my experience, many who don't have not actually used one.

They are virtually maintenence free and will normally go 3-4 years before needing service. By virtue of their positioning and their constant use, they do stay much cleaner than a conventional octo and I have never had one get full of sand, grave, mud etc. They also tend to come into the shop much cleaner and in better general working condition than the average octo so there is a lot to be said for the underlying premise of the design.

Ideally, you should use your octo on every dive to ensure it works and to keep the crap flushed out of it. In practice, many divers never use the octo. I see several each season come through the shop that are basically non functional and would not deliver an adequate amount of air in an emergency. Some will have stuck exhaust valves and others will be full of all manner of debris and a few will be badly corroded in critical areas and have obviously never been rinsed. In this regard, the self cleaning nature of the Air 2 is a signifcant advantage, particularly when you conisder that statistically you will be the one trying to breath off the alternate air source, not your out of air buddy.

Some techs have problems with slight leaks after servicing Air 2's but this is generally the result of not replacing the small o-ring around the orifice. If you don't replace it, a very slight leak is nearly inevitable. Internally they are a very simple downstream 2nd stage design and use the soft seat as the R190.

With an Air 2 you do have to donate your primary, but that is good practice anyway especially if you are using a long hose. In 2 out of the 3 air sharing situations I have been in, I was mugged for my primary on 2 of them. So donating the primary is a more realistic way to plan anyway and in that situation, the Air 2 is always very easy to find and access which can be a key advantage.

With a more technical configuration using doubles and a backup second stage, there is no real reason to have an Air 2 and consequently many of the technical types tend to lead the charge in condemning the Air 2. But for more normal recreational single tank diving it does offer some advantages and is worth considering.

For solo diving with a pony and Air 2 is nearly ideal as it provides the capability of having a backup 2nd stage on the primary tank with out the problem of an octo getting in the way of or getting confused with the pony bottle's second stage.

The Air 2 is a very good balanced inflator and also works very well for inflating lift bags. In cold water it can be particularly valuable in that role as if it freezes up, it can be disconnected for a few seconds. Not something you can do with an octo or primary second stage.

In my opinion, the pros outweigh the cons and I think they can be a good addition depending on the type of dives you do and your configuration.

Given that I dive primarily doubles on deeper dives I no longer use an Air 2 as it requires a much longer corrogated inflator hose than I prefer to use with my BP/wing, but I still encounter situations where one would come in handy now and then.

Do some research, get several opinons and then make your own decision as to how it fits with your type of diving and configuration. You definitely do not want to decide one way or the other soley because of what an opinionated SB member said.

The usefulness of an Air2 is up to the individual user. Like DA said, many of the ones that are against them have never used them. I've used one for over 5 years and never had a problem with mine. Never had a hose disconnect or any of the other horror stories that I see printed. I teach with one and will recommend to everyone that wants equipment to go with whichever setup they feel most comfortable with. Donating the primary shouldn't be a problem for anyone that is comfortable with their skills and I actually prefer that method. Just my take on it.

The biggest problem with an Air2 is that people keep asking about them and inadvertently starting another flame war.

Has anyone see Boogie? :evil:

lungdvb:
HI Everyone!!!

I'm thinking of getting an AIR2 into my BC, but heard different opinions on it. Is it true this device very sensitive in terms of getting faulty and hard to maintenance? I need your opinions... Thanks...

I use one as a bailout for my rebreather. The argument that it is too short and you end up donating your primary reg to the OOA diver is silly since many tech divers do just that with their 7' hose.
Mine has worked fine for a year or so ( it is due for sevicing now). It is not a great breathing reg but is good quality and will get you and your buddy safely to the surface. I recommend you practice OOA drills with a buddy just so you get the hang of controlling your ascent while breathing off the thing.
It's big advantage is the reduced number of hoses, and your octo will never drag in the sand like I see so often.

cornfed:
The biggest problem with an Air2 is that people keep asking about them and inadvertently starting another flame war.

Has anyone see Boogie? :evil:

:rofl:

Dan Gibson:
...or if it is accidentally disconnected. I have seen it disconnected accidently twice. Once in a pool when it was bumped (Zeagle version) and once during checkouts in a quarry (SP version). I witnessed the Zeagle become dislodged. I can only assume the other did not do a predive check as should have been done. Neither incident ended badly, but if these people were new and out there on their own, who knows what could have happened.

Another point, not that I wouldn't call the dive in this situation even without this setup, but you really have to call a dive when you disconnect one of these things. I have seen many people say they learned to orally inflate should they need to disconnect and actually proceed to make the dive. Hello! Where is your alternate air source for donating?

I have seen what appeared to be accidental disconnects but I am convinced that they were never properly connected to begin with. If dirt or misconnection does not result in alll three ball engaging the connector, it may disconnect rather easily. Once properly connected (if you can move it and breath it, it's OK) it takes purpose and a bit of effort to disconnect it. And just a little bit more effort to reconnect it. I have chosen to disconnect my air2 underwater to correct my hose routing. Since I often dive with a pony, having to disconnect an air2 would not necessarily be a dive terminating event.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom