Pros, Cons, rants etc. about head lamps for night diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sinbad the Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm getting ready to take my Night and Nav class and need to buy a light (I have an Ikelight that is a great backup already. A headlamp seems to make a lot of sense (hands free, light goes where your head goes, etc). In looking for pricing I didn't see a lot of them so I started to wonder if there isn't something I'm missing in this discussion?

Any reasons I should or shouldn't get a head lamp as a primary dive light?

The biggest problem with them is that it goes where your head goes. So what happens when you go to look at someone? You hit them right in the face.

There is nothing wrong with them, just be aware of where you are looking. Otherwise, you may have some very angry and blind buddies.

///:::...NiteRider Dive Lights International...:::\\\
Just bought a Blackwater 3000 from them. I really like it. Their customer service is top notch as well.

In the tropics, worms often swarm your light beam, which can be a little gross if it is emanating from your head. I tried the NiteRider headlamp years ago. Since I solo dive, blinding my buddy wasn't an issue, so it seemed like a good solution to the one-hand-too-few problem of night photography. But the worms were gross and got in my pictures as well.

I'm getting ready to take my Night and Nav class and need to buy a light (I have an Ikelight that is a great backup already. A headlamp seems to make a lot of sense (hands free, light goes where your head goes, etc). In looking for pricing I didn't see a lot of them so I started to wonder if there isn't something I'm missing in this discussion?

How about the Salvo 10Watt HID lights? They're under $1000, and could last you for a good while!

If the light source illuminates from near your eyes and in the same direction, you will not see much, because of the way small particles in the water will reflect light back to you.

Exactly as when doing underwater photography, it is best to have the light source illuminating the object from another direction (not near your line of sight).

The first time I used a head lamp, I ended removing it from my head and holding it in hand, to change the lighting direction from the line of sight direction.

The main concern is the blinding of your buddies.

If the light source illuminates from near your eyes and in the same direction, you will not see much, because of the way small particles in the water will reflect light back to you.

Good point. Also, as I like to sweep the area with my light, and I think I'd get tired of constantly turning my head to do so.

Another bad thing about headlamps is that all the reflected light by particulate, tiny plankton, etc, goes right into your eyes and blinds you. If you have it a few feet away (in your hand), you don't get as much light directed into your eyes.

Another option for a hands free light is something with a goodman handle. Oxycheq is coming out with a "light sock" that will hold an inline light to your hand so you can use that hand for stuff. Other companies have similar things.

Tom

I knew there was more to this.

Thanks to all, great info.

Blind your buddies when you look at them and look like an idiot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom