Protea Banks - South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaWim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We will be diving Protea Banks and are interested in your experiences with divecenters in this area. We have e-mailed with Roland Mauz who operates a diving center called Africa Dive Adventures. Does anybody know him or his dive center?

Any info on diving Protea Banks is most welcome!

Protea Banks is a great dive location, not an easy dive though, as the current can be quite strong. But if you are looking for some sharks then it's the place to be :)

I usually dive with Andy Cobb EcoDiving who runs great Shark speciality courses as well. He has to be one of the most knowledgeable people out there when it comes to sharks. He is based at Aliwail Shoal mostly but he does do charters to Protea.

http://www.sharkdiving.co.za

Africa Dive Adventures are well known and widely used for Protea Banks charters.
I did some dives with them two weeks ago.
Andy Cobb must be one of the most knowledgable when it comes to shark diving on the East Coast of SA.
We also did some dives with them through SeaFever in Umkomaas on Aliwal Shoal.

african dive adventures (http://www.africandiveadventures.com/) is great!

I have been there last years late August/beg. September - it was awesome!
The staff was very friendly (I dived with Lourens Viljoen and Wayne Knollys), the diving spectacular.
It was maybe the best diving I ever did.
That is why I will be there 2-11 september this year again!

What sharks have we seen?
ragged tooth sharks- 20-30 in one dive.
and also Zambezis, copper sharks.

some pics I did last year:

Scan950.jpg

Scan971.jpg

Scan984.jpg

Scan947.jpg

Scan959.jpg

DSC05124_2.jpg

DSC05113.jpg

DSC05111.jpg

DSC05114.jpg

I enclosed the urls in

ScubaWim:
We will be diving Protea Banks and are interested in your experiences with divecenters in this area. We have e-mailed with Roland Mauz who operates a diving center called Africa Dive Adventures. Does anybody know him or his dive center?

Any info on diving Protea Banks is most welcome!

Protea Banks is a absolute must. As a tour operator, we have used Roland (Africa Dive Adventures) many times before and we can certainly give you the thumbs up.

While you are in that region, why not dive Aliwal Shoal as well ?
There are many dive charters and operators who can assist in dives at both Aliwal and Protea.

We use Aliwal Dive Charters, under "new management", they are really professional and efficient. You will also find great accommodation right next to them which makes everything so easy. You don't have to walk more than 50 steps to get to everything a diver needs - Accommodation, food, dives...

anyway, hope this helps.

Regards,

Melt
Dive South Africa
www.divesouthafrica.co.za

Hi

I dived Protea and Aliwal Shoal in Feb 2004 and found them both very exciting. At Protea I had a 9 foot Bull Shark check me out, a magic moment.

All dive operators very good (Sea Fever in Umkomaas and African Dive Adventures at Protea), except WHALER Dive Centre in Umkomaas. Avoid at all costs. Totally unprofessional, pitiful "briefing", poor attitude to safety and a real cowboy attitude.

The diving is great in SA. You'll have a top time.
Cheers
Paul

Back
Top Bottom