Protea Banks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stallion

Reaction score
Just got back from a wicked holiday down on the south coast. Managed to get some diving in on Protea Banks & all I can say is that is was absolutely AWESOME!!!

There were so many Raggies swimming up the reef on northern pinnacles that they resembled tadpoles in a pond. Wicked stuff.

The one day we saw 5 different species of shark on 2 dives (One on northern pinnacles the other on southern pinnacles): Raggies, Zambezi's, Hammerheads, Blacktip Reef shark & a copper shark.

Unfortunately I had to leave the day the Sardines started to move through. But for all round Big Shark action, Protea Banks is the place

Hi Stallion,

I haven't dived Protea yet, but did a few dives 2 weeks ago at Aliwal with the raggies, great experience.

Who did you dive with and where do you stay ?

Hi guys,

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I just got the word from my girlfriend that we are going to spend about 4 weeks in South Africa sometime in the January-March time frame. What are my best bets for diving in that period? Sodwana is probably too far off the beaten path for us. I was considering Protea and Aliwal for a few days, then ending the trip with some diving around cape Town before we come home. My girlfriend is a non-diver (emphatically so), so I can't do a dedicated dive trip. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Phil

Hey Melt, I did my diving with African Odyssea. I'm super pleased with the the overall operation that they run there, and friendly bunch of dudes too. Since the boat was rather empty while I was there, we did two tank dives and I was only charged an extra R20 for the second dive (to cover air fill) which I thought was damn decent.

I did however stay in a time share place but there is accomodation available at the operator, but I wouldn't know pricing. Check their website or e-mail them http://www.africanodyssea.co.za/

As for you DutchDown I would maybe say Aliwal Shoal cause I doubt your girlfriend would be too pleased with you enjoying yourself all day and her having to wait topside doing nothing. At least at Aliwal you kinda have access to both north & south coast areas. So you can be spoiled with morning dives and she can be entertained by afternoon siteseeing trips,safari's, shopping etc.

Jesus, maar julle maaitjies duik sommer lekker daar in Afrika. Lyk vir my ek moet bietjie vir my maaitjies kom kuier............

who shall i answer first ???
hmmm

DutchDown: 4 weeks in South Africa is more than enough time to spend diving and sight-seeing. You have many options... South Africa offers such a vast diversity of diving, wildlife and scenery that will make any dream holiday come true.

Diving includes sites such as Sodwana Bay, Aliwal Shoal, Protea Banks and the Great Whites off Gansbaai.
Sight-seeing could include Cape Town (Table Mountain with the cable car), Robben Island, the V&A waterfront, Wine farms, the Drakensberg Mountains
Plus you can also fit in a visit to any of our famous Game Reserves.

I work for a scuba diving tour operator and we can help with any of the activities mentioned above, let me know. you can also visit our URL for more info - see my signature.

Stallion: It is always great to find a charter/operator who provides good service and a friendly smile. Good on them. I have to admit, i do not know them very well as i have not had dealings with them myself. Next time you visit South Africa, give me a call/email and we can set up a great package for you.

ShakaZulu: nou waarvoor wag jy ou maat, dit word nou somer en die duike net lekkerder...mis jy ons nie ?

ShakaZulu:
Jesus, maar julle maaitjies duik sommer lekker daar in Afrika. Lyk vir my ek moet bietjie vir my maaitjies kom kuier............

No fair. Ek kaan nie Afrikaans praat nie!

scubaculture:
He said it looks like we are having nice dives in SA and that he should come visit :)

Baie dankie. :)

adsadiving:
Diving includes sites such as Sodwana Bay, Aliwal Shoal, Protea Banks and the Great Whites off Gansbaai.
Sight-seeing could include Cape Town (Table Mountain with the cable car), Robben Island, the V&A waterfront, Wine farms, the Drakensberg Mountains
Plus you can also fit in a visit to any of our famous Game Reserves.

adsadiving...

What about the diving in Cape Town???? We have among the best cold-water diving in the world....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom