Protect the sharks - petition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cows don't take 15 yrs to reproduce and I think that is something that is not put out there for people to understand. Most think they spawn like other fish or have lots of pups every year. When I explain to someone of the general public that they have a similiar reproductive life cycle to man, people are really suprised. That is why Sharks are not sustainable at the levels we are fishing them. Most caught on long lines have not reached reproductive maturity. So that is a huge strike against them. . Some shark meat doesn't keep well and since fins are where the money is at, they are easier to take. Why waste valuable space is the thinking of most fisheries. It all comes down to money and lack of education. That is what most of our battles with conservation comes down to.

Carolyn:shark2:

I agree 100%! Education and sustainability are the key to all conservation, so getting the word out about the real nature of the shark, eliminating the fear is the first step! Overcoming the "Jaws" stigma is so hard without the Hollywood money behind the cause! The waste is what makes fining so bad and such a waste of a beautiful creature!

hi guys,,

I am from Singapore, although Singapore does not have any fantastic dive spots let alone shark diving spots, I have already signed the petition. I have also had a fascination with sharks and have since always wanted to do my best and devote my life to protecting these creatures. I really hope that the general public would really read up on these articles and learn to conserve and protect our ecosystem and these apex predators that brings a balance to the entire ecosystem.

cheers guys. if there is anything i can do please do let me know

with regards,
matt

Nice to meet you Matt! Welcome to the forum and thank you for you help in shark conservation! The best thing you can do on your end is to support organizations there that are fighting for shark preservation. Educate those you meet, especially other divers. Being able to dive with sharks is the most incredible experiences that I have had while diving!

Good luck and happy diving!
Carolyn:shark2:

Here is some shark love. :)

I think you already saw this LIVE4SHARK, but we'll let people here see this.

Hi, everyone!

I am living in China not too far from Beijing. Interestingly enough, a firewall blocked my school server from linking me to the petition. I’ll have to try again later with some software help that gets around these things.

I am a middle school and high school teacher here at a small international school in Tianjin, and I have plans on ending this school year with a conservation unit centered around misinformation about sharks and what we can do about it. My ninth grade class will organize a Green Peace style list of local Tianjin restaurants where shark fin is not served. I could tell you how difficult they are to find here, but it would depress me and you to expand on that. The good news is that local restaurateurs do go out of their way to appeal to the expat crowd for those beloved Pounds, Euros, and Dollars. This give us some room for influence, if only on a small scale.

To end the year my students will be responsible for organizing a showing of *Shark Water* to our community, this with a poster and speaking campaign that will target not just their peers, but also teachers and parents in the process. I bought a legal copy of Shark Water from the US, and I am putting some effort into trying to build a reading and video montage that exposes where our fears come from and how these fears we have of sharks have lead to both shark and human destruction.

Thanks very much for the links to conservationist organizations related to this topic.

I could use some help in coming up with movie clips highlighting how Hollywood and others have taught us to fear and hate sharks (as is nicely shown in Shark Water). My goal is to first try and get my students to acknowledge their own fears and misconceptions about sharks before they start to break them and understand what the truth is. That way, I hope, when the time comes to reach out to others they will be more focused and passionate about this and other issues related to sustainability. As with anything in education, the risk is high here. I might not get the results I want. I have no doubt that I am going to get in hot water with some people given where I live and how I and going to point out where shark fin is served in Tianjin.

I’ve got *Jaws* of course to help in building the shark mythology, but I need more before I can do this effectively. Could anyone recommend other movies or TV shows from the USA or elsewhere that can be of use as well? Someone told me that “The Beach” would be good, but I can’t remember why to tell you the truth.

Thanks for the thread and thanks ahead of time for any nudges you can give me so that I can begin to put this final unit together.

Cheers!

hello!
thanks for welcoming me to the forum. yeah i have first started by educating my family about the plight of sharks and the importance of the conservation of sharks. Then it would be educating my peers around about the conservation of sharks. I have asked my family members to stop taking any products that content shark products and sharks fins.:D

#341...
And just my twisted opinion... but we should start feeding sharks on people to lower our population and help rebuild theirs. :p start with politicians! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom