Protecting my housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pinstripe1

Reaction score
Just got the WP-DC30 housing for my Canon A85. Took it to the pool over the weekend for testing. The thing is, in fact, waterproof and I got some great pix of my daughter.

What I'm wondering is how to protect the housing, especially when shlepping it in a gear bag. Seems to me that a scratch on the lens window would pretty much make the housing useless. Neither the Canon site nor any other photography store have any info on carrying cases large enough to hold the housing.

What do you use?

Thanks,

-- Michael

I put the camera in the housing and put the whole package in a Pelican case. I took out all the foam except the top and bottom sheet, and then put the camera in housing (S1 in a DC-20 housing) inside, with card wallet, extra batteries, and stuff the rest with a hand towel. Works great. Fits my flashtrax too on longer trips. And you can use it as a stool or footrest. :07:

Apparently scratches aren't a problem -- the water fills them as soon as you are underwater.

Furthermore, people have reported that the lens is nearly unscratchable anyways!

I know that's not much help, but perhaps it is good in the meantime until those with this experience post... :)

I go high tech to protect my housing :wink: - soft sided six pack cooler, available everywhere. Inside goes a plastic box (like tupperware etc). Inside that I have some pluck and pull foam that was left over from somethin else, a towel or other foam will work just as well. I've cut a bit out of the middle so the housing sits snug. There is room for extra batteries etc, too.

Great for taking on the boat - sling over your shoulder. Keeps the camera the right temp and cushions from knocks and provides a private rinse tank, too. At home, everything is pulled out, rinsed and thoroughly dried - then all back in and lid on for a dust free, bump-proof storage solution (mine hangs on the wall).

Total cost about $12 :)

I put my camera inside my housing, then stuff the housing, the strobe, the arm, the lens, grease, cables, etc into my Crumpler bag.

The Pelican cases are great, but a bit pricey. I went with a non-waterproof case from Platt (the makers of Pelican cases) and it's worked great over the last year. They come with the "pick and pluck" foam so you can customize the case to fit your camera and housing. It's not designed like luggage (it has plastic buckles) or to survive a 100' drop, but it's kept my camera from getting crushed by a tank at least once and beats the hell out of a standard soft sided camera bag (which only helps to keep all the broken pieces together).

Fry's Electronics has these in stock and cheap. Here's the one I use for my A70 for $30:
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/1800621#detailed

http://www.plattcases.com

LegoPacific:
I went with a non-waterproof case from Platt (the makers of Pelican cases) and it's worked great over the last year.

Oooh, great idea. I was looking for something for my new video rig! Thanks!
Taxgeek

alcina:
At home, everything is pulled out, rinsed and thoroughly dried - then all back in and lid on for a dust free, bump-proof storage solution (mine hangs on the wall).

Do you close your housing up when you're storing it in the house for extended periods of time? Until I get my job and vacation squared away, mine will be stored for long stretches at a time. Right now I have it opened to prevent o-ring deformation, wrapped in a plastic bag and inside a big tupperware container.

Is that enough or is closing it safe? Or should I just remove the O-ring, place it inside and close the case when not in use?

Kriterian:
Do you close your housing up when you're storing it in the house for extended periods of time?

My little camera seldom goes more than a week without getting wet, but I'd say take the O-ring out. CD cases are just about the perfect size for the O-ring, then put both the CD case in a ziplock bag.

LegoPacific:
My little camera seldom goes more than a week without getting wet, but I'd say take the O-ring out. CD cases are just about the perfect size for the O-ring, then put both the CD case in a ziplock bag.

I agree, take it out. I like the jewel case idea as well.

Scratches..not an issue. They disappear when wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom