Protecting my new Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Minipinny

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just recently purchaseed my brand new spanking Oceanic Pro Plus II computer guage and am worried about it getting banged up and destroyed by the carelessness of others when I pass my BCD and reg up to them after I am done with my boat dive. I have seen this happen with my buddy's computer as I watched it get tossed onto the deck floor by whoever who was helping him out. Afterwards it was malfunctioning and needed to go in for repair.

I called up Oceanic and asked about a moulded guard for my particular model and I was told that they had no such thing but a front grill to protect the front part.

Is there anyone who can help me?

Minipinny:
I just recently purchaseed my brand new spanking Oceanic Pro Plus II computer guage and am worried about it getting banged up and destroyed by the carelessness of others when I pass my BCD and reg up to them after I am done with my boat dive. I have seen this happen with my buddy's computer as I watched it get tossed onto the deck floor by whoever who was helping him out. Afterwards it was malfunctioning and needed to go in for repair.

I called up Oceanic and asked about a moulded guard for my particular model and I was told that they had no such thing but a front grill to protect the front part.

Is there anyone who can help me?

Just climb up the ladder onto the boat with your gear on (minus your fins) and take a seat on your own. That's how it's done down here in Florida.

I use an Oceanic wrist computer. For the Oceanic Pro Plus II, aside from the grill, there is hardly anything you can do to protect it when handling it to someone (does this happen a lot on your dives? most of my boat dives do not involve me handling my gear to get aboard - I just remove my fins and climb up the ladder). There are cordura zipper pouches to protect them in between dives but not during dives. I can only suggest using a strong retractor that clips it to your BCD so it wouldn't swing around and hit something while being handled. If plastic protector isn't available, I put a clear tape over the face of my computer to prevent scratches, but it only lasts 2 or 3 dives before air bubbles form underneath it.
Dive safely.

Ya, the only thing available is a plastic lens cover.....but I have never handed my gear up to someone when getting in the boat...I might hand them my fins and walk up the latter, but usually I have my fins in my arms and climb up(arm thru the strap) but this depends on the seas.......If you have your equipment in the guage holder or retractor it shouldnt be a problem, but I just walk out with my own gear...as for someone throwing my gear, they would find themselves in the water pretty quick :wink:

The particular boat I dive on is one that you have to do the tuck and roll back. The boat isn't designed for divers to climb back into the boat. You have to take your gear opff in the water and then use the side ladder. The reason I go with this boat is because it's cheaper than most of the other dive boats and it belongs to a reputable divemaster. (He's not the one who threw the bcd around btw).

I guess I will have to do a group huddle before the the dive and just politely tell everyone to treat everyone else's gear with respect. "You break it, you fix it!" :shakehead

From reading everyone's replies I am assuming that most dive boats are designed with the diver in mind for easy access with the gear still strapped on (either with or without the fins). Please let me know.

I keep my computer on my wrist. Therefore it doesn't even have a chance to be thrown around. AS for most of the boats I have dove from (Florida & Carribean), they have a platform on the rear to do the stride to get into the water. With calm seas then a ladder to climb up to the platform. Rough sea sometimes is interesting.

Diving_is_a_passion:
seems like oceanic has a lens protector on their site if thats what you are looking for

http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_computers_proplus.html

what about placing it in a pocket or putting a clip on it and attaching it to a shoulder dring

Love my PP2. Good purchase.

I use the lens protector. (about ready to replace mine actually).

I also use a retractable mini-carabiner and clip it to the top DRing on my Ranger. Works perfecto. Keeps my PP2 close to my BCD and out of the way when I'm in the water and when I'm out as well.

Dive safe.

Minipinny:
The particular boat I dive on is one that you have to do the tuck and roll back. The boat isn't designed for divers to climb back into the boat. You have to take your gear opff in the water and then use the side ladder. snip.

Most of the warm water diving I've done has been this type of op.. I far prefer smaller group dives.
But... my buddy is my wife and unless I am really comfortable with the op (or there is some reason to clear the water ASAP) as we leave the water I pass up my weights fully inflate my BCD get out of my gear and she holds it while I climb up to the boat. I then take the gear from her.

I went to Staples and bought some of that plastic film you can use to protect the screen on a Palm Pilot. When the film gets gunked up I replace it, and the screen of the computer is always clean. (Then I went and put it on everything I own with a little screen on it (dig camera, handheld GPS, etc.)

When I am storing my computer in my gear bag I store it in an old neoprene glove. I cut the fingers off, trimmed the glove so it's just a bit larger than the computer, and made a slit up the side of the glove, so I an slide the computer in and out of the glove. Works very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom