Proton Metal Octo did not come with Superflex hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jac_3232

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently purchased the Mares Carbon 42 with a Proton Metal Octo from my LDS. They had to order everything in. On the Mares website it lists a superflex hose with the Proton Metal Octopus. The hose that came on my octo is a yellow rubber hose (The Carbon hose is a superflex). When I pointed it out to the LDS, they told me I'd have to buy the superflex hose for the Proton Metal Octo. Why is it advertised on the Mares website as a Superflex hose, when it’s actually rubber?

I am very happy with the regs, but was disappointed not to get the hose that was advertised. I have PM’ed Zak a couple of times asking for an explanation, but no response. I know it’s just a hose, but when you drop good money on equipment, you expect to get exactly what the vendor is advertising. Is that unreasonable?

maybe if you buy the octo separately is comes with 'superflex', but if you buy the octo as part of a complete reg only the primary 2nd stage comes with 'superflex' and the octo gets the cheaper regular rubber hose ? Does the Mares WWW site actually say, if you buy everything together as a package the octo will also be 'superflex' ?

i would guess its warehouse old stock. i ordered a set of carbon regs primary and octo both came with superflex hoses but they are new model. the proton metal octo has been around for years, so there is stock of the old hose. i ordered the proton she dives with metal octo for my wife, primary had superflex octo did not.

Zak comes by this forum about once every week or so, so you might have missed him. I'm sure that when Zak comes by this thread he will have a more 'official' statement for you :)

Hi all, Sorry I've been travelling like crazy. Ok. Here is the deal. At some point within the last year or two, we switched at production / assembly to the superflex hose on some regulators. From our end, we are advertising on the website what is current production. It is very reasonable for a dive store to have older models without the current hose. I suggest you try to work this out with the store you purchased the octo from. I am sure there is a way we can work to an acceptable solution.

Zak

PM sent

just a note about the superflex hose it does not stay clipped up in the hose clip octo holders very well. it is just a little smaller than standard lp rubber hose.

My LDS did have to order both regs in. I’m not sure where the old stock is coming from, but they assured me it was not from their stock. I replied to Zak’s PM, and I talked to my LDS, and we’ll see where it goes.

Thanks for your reply Zak, and everyone for their comments.

the stock would be the north american dist.

Just an update, nothing ever happened with this. I was PM’ed a couple of times by Mares and I gave my LDS info as requested so Mares could contact them. Each time I was at my LDS I asked if they were contacted by Mares and the answer was no. I’ve stopped asking.

To anyone ordering Mares regs, make sure to specify that you want the current model that’s listed on their website, not old stock. My issue was only a hose, but you never know what enhancements they make from year to year that you could be missing out on.

:merryxmas:

Back
Top Bottom