Proud new Suunto owners need advice/assistance..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin K

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, My wife and I now own Suunto Cobras. We need to get a download cable. Serial or USB? One work better than the other? Is that all I need is a cable and the SDM? And as I understand it- the Suunto Dive Manager is free off of the Suunto web site. Ok to get cable from LeisurePro or other web site? Thanks for advice/help. Sincerely, kk

usb is far faster then serial. Go that route. It's newer technology, and anybody with a serial download cable (including me), wishes they had one.

SDM is downloadable from the suunto site.

Kevin K:
Serial or USB?
Definitely USB.

Ok to get cable from LeisurePro or other web site? Thanks for advice/help. Sincerely, kk
Yes.

How does one build a download cable. I am mechanical but I don't think electrical. kk

USB is faster than serial only when the USB device doesn't actually have an internal USB to serial interface to connect to the serial-only computer. As it comes out of the dive computer, it's serial, so USB to the PC won't gain any speed.

That said, as soon as you try to connect an old 9-pin serial connector to a laptop or computer without any old 9-pin serial ports, you'll understand why USB is *so* much better. Also, no little pins to bend... not that I've ever had to use a hemostat on an oft-disconnected serial cable or anything... :wink:

ClayJar is correct, you won't be getting faster downloads from the USB cable in this particular case. I chose the USB cable because my laptop doesn't have a serial port.

Ok USB it is. Ok with everyone for an internet purchase for this one? Unlike what my kids think I am not made out of money or have a money tree in the back yard-as my old daddy used to tell me. kk

My USB cable (purchased from my LDS as a "need it now") didn't have a warranty card or anything with it (although it did have a nice CD of the software you can just as easily download from Suunto's web site). I don't think I'd have a problem with buying online if you can find it. :D

there are plans on the internet for the cables but you may as well just buy one..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom