Provo Recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pm3009

Reaction score
Hi

We're thinking of breaking up our dive vacation this year, between Grand Turk and Provo Turks and Caicos. Last year, we dove Grand Turk for a week. We're thinking of doing 4 days at Grand Turk this year, and two days of diving at Provo...to add a little variety.

People on the Scubaboard seem to recommend Provo Turtle Divers and Caicos Adventures in Provo. I went to both websites, and they seem to both have large boats. We like smaller boats like Blue Water Divers in Grand Turk. Is there a similiar small dive op like Blue Water, on Provo?

Any lodging similiar to the Osprey on Provo? Looking for a place right on the beach. Not a big resort, but something smaller.

Thanks!
Pam

Ocean Vibes is the way to go. Wayne is a the owner/operator/native dive guide. He is great. Dove with him many times. Never more than 8 divers on my visits. Usually around 6 (including yourselves). Ocean Club and or perhaps The Sands as possible places for stay. They are kind of large, but most everything is much larger than on Grand Turk. It is hard to pick a good place to stay for others, because preferences vary. But for good diving with a great operation, Ocean Vibes is the way to go. http://www.oceanvibes.com/

Thanks for the tip on Ocean Vibes. I just checked out their website. If you go to the Scuba page, is that the boat that you dove on? It says it holds up to 16 divers. Is the norm to only take 6-8 divers, or was that on their old boat?

Thanks!
Pam

I last dove with Wayne in 2004. Did St.Marten and Saba last year. That boat is not the boat I last dove on with him. It was kind of a catamaran twin hull type that could hold 10-12 comfortably. I think I recall seeing that boat in the marina, but we did not use. Another added bonus, if you are staying relatively close to the marina (within 10-15 minutes) on Grace Bay, he will more than likely offer to come get you on the beach of your resort and drop you off there too! But since you are only going to be there a few days, you might want to arrange up front if this is something of interest.

Good luck and good diving.

Something to keep in mind - the better places to dive from Provo are a longish ride, you may not want to be on something too small.

Provo Turtle Divers has two boats. The three days I dove with them, we had no more than 8 divers on the small boat. Just call and ask.

If I were staying on Provo and wanted to dive the good sites then I agree with Damselfish do not go with a small boat. I had a couple of rough trips and thank goodness we were on larger boats. Provo Turtle Divers is not a cattle boat operation nor is Caicos Adventures. I do not know about Ocean Vibes. French Cay is a fun dive and when we were there it was nurse shark mating season and there were 50 to 60 of them in the shallows in 2-3 feet of water. Not a dive but a great shore interval. We stayed at larger resort but dove with the smaller ops. From what you say-stay away from Beaches. Have a blast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom