PSD Diving Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snafu

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi,

I would like to know choices of equipment that you use for PSD work from head to toe & the reason behind it.

Hope I can get an open discussion on this matters.

a. Hood
b. mask
c. Regulator type & configuration (Din or Yoke)
d. Long hose or Short hose
e. BCD.. Back inflation or Jacket type
f. Cutting tools .. knife .. cutter..etc
g. Safety & emergency equipmet (SMB..lift bag)
h. Glove
i. Booties
j. Fins
k. Torch type (HID,LED...etc)

* Tropical water, Cold water, Low viz & Zero viz.
Feel free to get into the specification, brands & technical information.

Thanks all.

Snafu:
Hi,

I would like to know choices of equipment that you use for PSD work from head to toe & the reason behind it.

Hope I can get an open discussion on this matters.

a. Hood
b. mask
c. Regulator type & configuration (Din or Yoke)
d. Long hose or Short hose
e. BCD.. Back inflation or Jacket type
f. Cutting tools .. knife .. cutter..etc
g. Safety & emergency equipmet (SMB..lift bag)
h. Glove
i. Booties
j. Fins
k. Torch type (HID,LED...etc)

* Tropical water, Cold water, Low viz & Zero viz.
Feel free to get into the specification, brands & technical information.

Thanks all.

Snafu:

I had hoped that some of the others with more training and experience would have answered by now, but I will provide my limited input.

The best combination for PSD is probably a FFM with a drysuit. The FFM is the first choice as they are usually matched with diver to tender communications set-ups. If you will be doing any hazmat or contaminated diving, a vulcanized or rubber style drysuit would be the best choice. The tri-lam or neoprene style of suits could be contaminated or degradated by the chemicals. When I dive wet, I have a 7 mil and a 3 mil full suit. In haste, I made the mistake of wearing my shorty on a rescue when I did not have my 3 mil full suit. Wont' make that mistake again. When wet, I have a zippered hood for easy in and out.

In the US, yoke style is simply more prevalent, but if I were to buy new tanks and regs, I would (personally) switch to DIN. But since I have 3 tanks and provide my own equipment, that is not going to happen anytime in the near future.

Regarding regs, I personally have a 20+ year old US Divers setup that I will not give up. There are many fine, high quality regs out there and you could check the equipment posts and look for a quality reg. Remember that it is a piece of life support equipment, buy quality. I have seen Posiden used by a number of teams.

With a BC, I dive a Dacor Rig Pro, which is essentially a backplate and wing set-up. Many will argue that this is not the BC to use for PSD. (Sorry everyone, but I like it) It has a number of D-rings which could get caught on entanglements. I use it to attached my octo and console cross body to minimize the length of the hoses hanging. Previously dove with a jacket style BC, but I like the back inflation style (after some getting used to it).

Many of the other items you ask about are simply personal preference type of items. Masks (other than FFM), boots, gloves should match the conditions and fit you well.

Now that I started the reply, hopefully others will jump in. I welcome to be corrected. Others on this board have probably forgotten more than I know.

Dan

Boater Dan:
Snafu:

I had hoped that some of the others with more training and experience would have answered by now, but I will provide my limited input.

The best combination for PSD is probably a FFM with a drysuit. The FFM is the first choice as they are usually matched with diver to tender communications set-ups. If you will be doing any hazmat or contaminated diving, a vulcanized or rubber style drysuit would be the best choice. The tri-lam or neoprene style of suits could be contaminated or degradated by the chemicals. When I dive wet, I have a 7 mil and a 3 mil full suit. In haste, I made the mistake of wearing my shorty on a rescue when I did not have my 3 mil full suit. Wont' make that mistake again. When wet, I have a zippered hood for easy in and out.

In the US, yoke style is simply more prevalent, but if I were to buy new tanks and regs, I would (personally) switch to DIN. But since I have 3 tanks and provide my own equipment, that is not going to happen anytime in the near future.

Regarding regs, I personally have a 20+ year old US Divers setup that I will not give up. There are many fine, high quality regs out there and you could check the equipment posts and look for a quality reg. Remember that it is a piece of life support equipment, buy quality. I have seen Posiden used by a number of teams.

With a BC, I dive a Dacor Rig Pro, which is essentially a backplate and wing set-up. Many will argue that this is not the BC to use for PSD. (Sorry everyone, but I like it) It has a number of D-rings which could get caught on entanglements. I use it to attached my octo and console cross body to minimize the length of the hoses hanging. Previously dove with a jacket style BC, but I like the back inflation style (after some getting used to it).

Many of the other items you ask about are simply personal preference type of items. Masks (other than FFM), boots, gloves should match the conditions and fit you well.

Now that I started the reply, hopefully others will jump in. I welcome to be corrected. Others on this board have probably forgotten more than I know.

Dan
We were just being nice and letting you start Dan.:D The poor guy just picked the wrong weekend to ask the question.

I had 19 hours overtime for just one day. To pooped to type. They just eliminated two of us again from the initial page on yet another callout. We needed the rest and I'm better now. Flippin ehaustian is dangerous

Anyway, Snafu, DO NOT pick equipment because thats what we or someone else uses. Each area is very unique and so are your needs. To properly deal with it you need to evaluate what your needs are and go from there.

Nomatter what piece of equipment you introduce, there will be both good and bad ratings for it. The biggest thing I can say for PSD work is "KISS", "KEEP IT SIMPLE SYSTEM". The more you have and the more complicated it is the more likely a problem is to arise.

Suits: We dive 90% dry. After trying better than a dozen brands over long periods we settled on DUI. One of many reasons is fit. I can wear my uniform under it or just very light undies and it fits well. I'm 5'7 on a good day and 200#. I wear an Extra Large Extra Tall suit. Why? I get dressed in under 3 minutes with it. Viking is my second choice and we still keep them in the locker for special duty stuff. We still have a few guys in WHITE'S but they don't have the comfort level as the Viking or DUI. We also couple in OS dry gloves.

Wet? use what you want. We don't have regs here.

Regs: Sherwood Maximus. Any failures we have had have been our fault and not that of the equipment. They will also go from 80+df temps to low 30df in the same dive without problems. They are great under the ice. These are under arm so long hose. Other than that short hose regs. with yokes. DIN is not that popular and will be harder to adapt to the fire trucks systems.

BC's: Zeagel Tech. We don't use the weight system, which I don't like anyway. All PSD's should use belts and keep the main weight out of the BC. A little is OK but not the main weights.

Fins: Most of us like CRESSI Frogs. They are a good all around fin. Work in warm, cold, frozen or swift water. They can also be repaired quickly.

Tanks: They are a container of air and thats it. We use Alum 80's with some 50's and steel 72's.

Undies: This is where everyone is very different. So pick what will work for a wide varity of conditions or have several options.

Masks: Two of us are FF most of the time. Here again is personal choice. Personally I want to be FF when the body parts and fluids start sticking to me. We all have FF CRESSI's available.

Knife: Personal choice but we do carry spring loaded punches. I also carry shears.

Lift bags: Leave them in the rig unless you have a specific job where they will be needed. A body or victim is only a few onces underwater and filling a 35mm film canister would be an overkill.

Lights: UK600 rechargable's. They are just plain tough but are so hot they are a problem using dry.

For back ups we use the little 2 "C" cell Mini's.

Safety equipment: Not much. Duck call, whistle and a compact sausage.

Thats all I can think of right now. We stay compact and only need two trips from the car to where ever. Also we fly to places even within our own county so we need to be complete but compact.

Hope that helps. Remember to invest a bundle into PSD training and don't try to work under a Sport certification. Know your gear inside and out so you react without thinking about it.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom