PSD modifications to DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Morloc

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What, if any, modifications to the DIR setup are recommended for PSD?

Digging through the muck on a search with gauges on my forearms/wrists doesn't seem like such a good idea...

[ Note: I'm not a PSD yet. In the background process now...]

I don't think there's any resemblance between dir and psd diving.

DIR and PSD are to far apart to make any list of changes. I dont know where DIR talks about surface supplied air or diving solo at the end of a comm line with single cylinders or pony bottles. No need for a long hose either.

Now if your asking if DIR equipment works for PSD, it depends. If you intend to dive contaminated water than I would say yes or no depending on the materials for your harness and bc. if you dive plain old turbid water than any DIR bp/w should work fine although dont be surprised if your asked to get rid of the long hose and pick up a ffm.

Digging through the muck on a search with gauges on my forearms/wrists doesn't seem like such a good idea...

You're right! The closer to KISS the better....

Gary D.

Last edited:
Last body recovery I did was with no computer depth guage or compass. I was in 12 feet of water with 0 viz.
I had an SPG clipped off on my left hip. The SPG was the only guage I needed.

You would probably need to ditch the 7 foot hose as your primary would more than likely be attached to a FFM. BP/W should work just fine, especially with a Dry Suit. You would need to wear a separate weight system as the ability to safely remove/replace your scuba unit is mandatory. The KISS concept of DIR as well as their concept of each member having the exact same equipment/setup works very well with PSD if not their exact equipment configuration. Gauges on forearms - fagetaboutit!
Safe Diving,
George
PADI MSDT

Add a second cutting instrument, a pony, FFM and reconfigure for playing in the mud.

Factor in line tended solo searching, surface supplied air and comms.

Thanks for the input! I've been playing with the DIR config. one piece at time. I don't mind spending money on gear but don't want to waste it either...
It's my understanding that the local team mostly works in ponds, lakes, and reservoirs. They require 2, but prefer 3 cutting tools, one of which must be medical type shears to handle cut-resistant fishing line. I'm guessing that FFM means Full Face Mask. I know the team has some but doesn't use them much. What brands/models are suggested?

The DIR philosophy is to be able to perform any given dive the most efficient and safe way possible. Although a cornerstone of DIR is the basic gear configuration that they promote it isn't the end all and be all. I believe a similar mindset can be used to approach PSD.

Example - a long hose, good dive planning, a canister light, good buddy awareness and a practiced skill set is the most efficient way to manage an OOA or lost primary air source IN MOST CASES
For PSD this system can't work due to the environmental aspect (zero vis) and is actually a liability. Instead, a pony bottle w/ quick release, good tether communication/management, good tender skills, 2 back-up divers, a contingency bottle as well as a practiced skill set amongst the group is best IN MOST CASES

Even the DIR guys will mix it up. Understand the philosophy and not the checklist.

For sport diving I prefer to dive a "DIR rig" because I believe it to be the most efficient and safe system for that type of diving. But as already said PSD is a different beast and I dive TOTALLY different gear for that -- Even the fins are different.
About the only thing I've crossed over is the EMS shears - they rock in both aspects (although I carry 2 for sport dives instead of 3 for PSD). Knives are old school.
I've moved away from a BP for PSD as well as its not the best BCD to use on the surface where we may spend a significant amount of time as PSDs but opinions differ on this - each to their own

The FFM of choice is the AGA or interspiro.

Some good advice on here for you though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom