PSD Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CCTX50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Has anyone every taken part in the "Underwater Crimes Scene Series - Body and Weapon Recovery"? It is put on by Ronny Phillips and Mark Phillips here in Texas. You can read more about the class at psdiver.com (click on Underwater Crime Scene Series)

It is a three day class that used to be put on at Galveston, Texas PD but after hurricane Ike things changed and it is now being put on at Alvin Community College.

I am looking for feedback from people that have been to or have knowledge about this class. I am considering attending and would like some insight into the course.

Thanks!!!

I attended this course or the earlier version with a member of my team and a diver from another unit we work closely with.

When we attended it was still being taught at the Galveston PD location. At that time I believe that Mark considered it an awarness level course but it provided a great deal of hands on training in the pool environment. We did not get to do live exercises in the area due to inclement weather on the last day of the course.

The obstacle course proved to be a great evaluator of how some divers would react in various entanglement scenarios and a few interesting situations. You stand to learn a great deal more about weapon and body recovery from reading Tether's Encyclopedia of Underwater Investigations but the course gives you the opportunity to practice actual search and recovery techniques and do so with good instructors and other PSDs. It also is a certification course from at least one recognized training agency. When we attended, certification was provided through PSDA but I see now that it lists PSDA and ERDI. Certification is mentioned because it is a building block for gaining support from local judicial and law enforcement authorities.

I look at it from the point of view that there are so few UCSI courses out there.. that we try and send someone to each one we can as most courses usually present something new. You may attend the course and learn a great deal or it may be review for you.. but I would think most would bring something new away from it.

I know there were some real world problems posed in that course or by other divers there that set off light bulbs for us... and we actually created several items that we now use for underwater crime scenes in the way of extremity covers prior to bagging(many teams were using walmart bags and rubber bands), transluscent and transparent evidence containers( to confirm contents without having to break the seal) and an autonomous body bag lift system that will lift a bag and hold it just inches under the surface until it is ready to be transported( this allows the divers to surface a body without using their buoyancy and holds it out of sight and at the surface without anyone having to actually hold the bag).

Dive Safe,

J.Gibbs
Dive Lt.
Daphne Search and Rescue

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Very much appreciated!

Silverback beat me to this, but like he said we are all looking forward to this class. I think it has to be a great school if PSDA and ERDI are endorsing it. Most of our team took a U/W Crime Scene class taught through NAUI and a local instructor who is also a PD officer. It was a good class and we learned some new techniques but we will learn even more at this class. I'll post a critique of the class after we get back.

This class was very informational. We learned numerous things we are planning on incorporating into our Dive Team practices. Before you go make sure your in decent shape because the swimming skills section is hard.

The "watermanship skills" they have you do on trhe first day of class is a modified ERDI test.
Tread/float in water for 15 mins
300 yd no aids swim, (no time)
800 yd Mask, Fins, Snorkle (no time)
100 yd dive buddy tow/push

Now while you are waiting your turn for each task you must tread water....... Mark Phillips will also keep adding different tasks that involve U/W swims and such. All the while you....... Tread water while he explains them to you. In total you probably tread water 40 - 45 mins total or more.

Very informative class and well worth the time spent there, the days are long but rewarding. Mark is a very knowledgeable person on PSD.

I really hope you guys got more out of it than you had to tread water for a long time!

MY goal is to give students the opportunity for self evaluation by pushing a bit in an controlled environment. From comments received - we opened a few eyes just in that section. Treading water is a survival skill and one I believe is one of the most important self rescue skills a water responder should have mastered. When we first started your pool session, there was no question everyone would make a 10 minute mark. There was serious doubt everyone would be capable of reaching a 20 minute mark. With the instruction and tweaks we made, not only did everyone improve, we saw a dramatic difference in the skill by the time we were finished. NOW I have no doubt that everyone in the class could manage an hour or more. Practice and make it part of your training program. Keep the skills sharp.

The day after I got home, we were dispatched on a body recovery. A young man jumped from a bridge into the river, was seen treading water and trying to swim. He was either VERY intent on suicide or could not tread water long enough for our boat to arrive. It was a difficult dive and location but we recovered his body 32 hours later.

Self Rescue skills begin with treading water.

You guys were a pleasure to work with and I look forward to doing it again one day.

Mark Phillips

With out a doubt we learned a lot in your class Mark. I was just informing everyone so they know it's not a type of class that you just sit on your butt in a class room. It's a very "Hands On" class and I can honestly say the best training class I have ever been to. My whole team learned that we are deficient in water skills and have already set up next months training in a pool to go over them again.

Water Skills are very important for self rescue and all PSD's should keep them sharp and I think you have proved that. I think Norm Wilson had spoke with you about taking your class on the road and I think it would be great to have you come down for a "Working Vacation" here in Florida.

Love the idea of a "working vacation"... Probably more work than vacation - but it almost one and the same for me. Have Norm give me a call. You guys have my number.

Mark Phillips
Editor / Publisher
PSDiver Monthly
PSDiver.com

Back
Top Bottom