PST E7-80 for Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBA_Phil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Looking to get my first set of doubles. Looking at PST E7-80. I am 5'6" 155 lbs., diving in a dry suit. When I use to dive with an AL 80, the 1st stage would hit me in the head or the tank would hit me in the butt (~1 in to long). Today Im using a PST100 with a SS backplate plus 10 lbs on the belt (no issues). When I’m doing the weight calculations for the double 80s (assuming a aluminum plate), it show I need 4 lb on the belt. Looking for any insight to this configuration. Looking for a light weight setup that will not be off balanced. Anybody with this setup? Any recommendations?

Thanks

Phil

would like to know if you get any responses. my buddy and I were just saying that those 80's would make great doubles. I have two that I dive now as singles and absolutely love 'em. being 5'7" I have the same problem with longer tanks. They are about the size of 50's (maybe a 1/2 inch taller) and have no problems with being hit on either end. Plus I have been able to go from 8 lbs in my 3/2 shorty to 4 lbs. Although I use 6 when diving with students in case I need to bring someone down to earth so to speak. Will be following this thread with interest. Jim

Of he doubles divers here in Nor Cal most of the newer guys (New to doubles) are using E7-100's. Good trim and enough gas for dives up to tech 1. The E7-80's are pretty much the same price I would go with the 100's

My wife tried to use E7-80's as doubles when we went to florida last year and it through her center of gravity off big time. Every time she stoped kicking she would tumble head over heals. She has a set of E7-100's and they work great for her and she is 5'4 135lbs .

I love My E7-80s as singles but they are short and won't allow too much flexibility for setting trim. Banded as doubles you may have more freedom than I have with my 2 strap Avid BC. On the Avid I only have 1-1/2 inches before I hit the boot or crown.

Pete

My buddies who dive with these doubled 80's have real difficulty reaching the valves. There is very limited real estate to position the bands. I would not personally use them for this reason.

--Matt

SCUBA_Phil:
Looking to get my first set of doubles. Looking at PST E7-80. I am 5'6" 155 lbs., diving in a dry suit. When I use to dive with an AL 80, the 1st stage would hit me in the head or the tank would hit me in the butt (~1 in to long). Today Im using a PST100 with a SS backplate plus 10 lbs on the belt (no issues). When I’m doing the weight calculations for the double 80s (assuming a aluminum plate), it show I need 4 lb on the belt. Looking for any insight to this configuration. Looking for a light weight setup that will not be off balanced. Anybody with this setup? Any recommendations? Phil

Hi Phil,

I'm the same size as you (and dive dry just to the NORTH of you), and find that the PST HP 80's do not trim correctly when doubled up. They are too short, so they will trim you head down when you get the valves high enough to be able to actually reach them. As mentioned by several above, you'll have much better trim with the HP 100's or LP 80's (which are essentially the same size ).

With a SS backplate and double HP 100's/LP 80's, you will not need much weight at all, depending on how much insulation you use under your dryuit. With a big, thick Weezle, I use an 8 lbs keel weight. With thinner Polartec insulation, I really don't need any weight beyond my can light.

YMMV

Nice little tanks. Very small and I feel like a free man compared to my LP104s.

They do tend to trim a bit head down, but I have not had a problem with them.

I am 6'2" 200lbs. I dive them with a 7mm wetsuit, ABS BP, and no weight.

Peter

SCUBA_Phil:
Looking to get my first set of doubles. Looking at PST E7-80. I am 5'6" 155 lbs., diving in a dry suit. When I use to dive with an AL 80, the 1st stage would hit me in the head or the tank would hit me in the butt (~1 in to long). Today Im using a PST100 with a SS backplate plus 10 lbs on the belt (no issues). When I’m doing the weight calculations for the double 80s (assuming a aluminum plate), it show I need 4 lb on the belt. Looking for any insight to this configuration. Looking for a light weight setup that will not be off balanced. Anybody with this setup? Any recommendations?

Thanks

Phil

I would hold up for now, PST's exemption expires in 4 months and they haven't renewed it yet.. if it expires it will be illegal to fill these cylinders.. see the pst is closing thread..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom