PT-010 vs. Ikelite housing for Olympus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReeferBen

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say a "port for the strobe" ?? do you mean a bulkhead fitting for the sync cord???

A TTL strobe can be used with both housings ..... They CANNOT be used on the Light and Motion Tetra housing for the 30xx 40xx cameras and need to use a hard wired sync cord ( the aluminum housing blocks the internal flash from being seen by an external slave sensor)

I'm sure there are people on this site using the TTL with the PT-010

ReeferBen once bubbled...
FWIW , I believe with the ikelite housing you can use a TTL strobe and with he PT-010 which doesnt have the port for the strobe you can only use a slave strobe. Correct me if Im wrong.

Ben, you're right in that the Ikelite housing is hot wired for a strobe that will use TTL. The Olympus PT-XXXX housings allows only the use of slave strobes...which are excellent, by the way! :wink:

Finesse...you just know I had to get that in there! :eek:ut:

Let me clear something up that I made a general statement about above….. A TTL strobe with a sensor can be used …… Like the DS-125 or 50 and I think Sea&Sea has also got something in the works that is similar

Dee once bubbled...

Ben, you're right in that the Ikelite housing is hot wired for a strobe that will use TTL. The Olympus PT-XXXX housings allows only the use of slave strobes...which are excellent, by the way! :wink:

Finesse...you just know I had to get that in there! :eek:ut:

Dee …. that’s OK …I’ll let it slip this time :D…… I still love ya !!!

The Ike housing for the 30xx 40xx Olympus cameras IS NOT hot wired / nor uses a sync cord ..... there is no bulk head in that housing. Additionally I’m almost certain that the digital cameras we are speaking of here( Olympus ) can not do TTL through a hard wired connection (I think Nikon can) .....once hard wired you can only control the strobe manually .... I do not believe the camera has the "logic" to "speak” to the strobe and quench it through a hard wired sync cord..... Hence the digital strobes like the DS-50 / 125 that allow TTL through an external sensor.
Nikon’s on the other hand (I think some if not all the digital and the Nikonos series can do TTL through the sync cord….in other words they speak the same language to allow metering/quenching of the strobe )
The new 5050 housing does have the sync cord bulkhead .... but you can only manually set the strobe intensity level.....camera tells it when to turn on and off.....and cannot meter the light as with the TTL sensors......This leads into the Light and Motion housing for the 5050..... I'm not sure about how it works ...but I believe is electronically controls the strobe.....not to mention thats a $1500 housing….

I'm getting confused now!!!! :confused: did that make any sense

Finesse once bubbled...
....The Ike housing for the 30xx 40xx Olympus cameras IS NOT hot wired / nor uses a sync cord ..... there is no bulk head in that housing.

I'm getting confused now!!!! :confused: did that make any sense

Well, DUH...I knew that! Sorry for the mis-information. I had the PT-015 on my brain, not the PT-010

I'm confused now, too. :rolleyes:

Where's my old brownie box camera..... :eek:ut:

andrsn once bubbled...

Does the PT-015 have a bulkhead connector?

Anderson

Ahh...no, I don't think so. I think it's the new model Ikelite housing that has the sync cord bulkhead.

Finesse once bubbled...
The new 5050 housing does have the sync cord bulkhead .... but you can only manually set the strobe intensity level.....camera tells it when to turn on and off.....and cannot meter the light as with the TTL sensors......This leads into the Light and Motion housing for the 5050..... I'm not sure about how it works ...but I believe is electronically controls the strobe.....not to mention thats a $1500 housing….

as I dont have one ....but I have seen one and I dont think the pt-015 has any room in the housing to facilitate a sync wire connection..... The housing fits the camera like a glove....

The Ikelite 5050 .... yes on the bulkhead and has the inside connection from the bulkhead to the hot shoe of the camera.... and I think I may even give it a try with the manual controller....more toys!!!

Back
Top Bottom