PT-015 housing oring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, i got the 251s in today and they appears to be an almost identical oring. Except they are not the pretty red color, but a bit of a drab orange. They dont match the case ;-0 I think i'll survive.

They feel identical in the housing (i.e. when you close the latch and except for the color seem identical in every way.

I'll be taking them on a practice dive or two just to verify all is well and will report back.

steve

to leave the camera topside on your "practice" dive....

Yes, thats the practice part. If these work out well thats a huge difference price wise - i got 5 to the package. Package was 13 bux and i think they're cheaper at a few other oring places (like 7-8 for 5 i think). I hate it when companies charge huge prices for stock items like this just because it has the name scuba attached to it.

steve

wetman:
Yes, thats the practice part. If these work out well thats a huge difference price wise - i got 5 to the package. Package was 13 bux and i think they're cheaper at a few other oring places (like 7-8 for 5 i think). I hate it when companies charge huge prices for stock items like this just because it has the name scuba attached to it.

steve

Steve,
Who are you using as a source for the Large O rings?
Have you found a source that will provide limited quantaties (less than 50) of the tiny O ring that's in the Mode dial - On/Off switch? Are you changing the tiny ones too?

I noticed salt crystals atop the Mode dial cap and have since found that I need to maintain both the tiny O ring and the SS shaft after about 30 dives. Also, I've gone with a slightly thicker O ring (on that shaft) which seems to help quite a bit.

DavidG:
Steve,
Who are you using as a source for the Large O rings?
Have you found a source that will provide limited quantaties (less than 50) of the tiny O ring that's in the Mode dial - On/Off switch? Are you changing the tiny ones too?

I noticed salt crystals atop the Mode dial cap and have since found that I need to maintain both the tiny O ring and the SS shaft after about 30 dives. Also, I've gone with a slightly thicker O ring (on that shaft) which seems to help quite a bit.

I havent looked for orings for many months, but i'd imagine they're standard in their sizes, so shouldnt be too hard to find.

There are several places on the web for these things, mcmaster and allorings.com come to mind. Once you sized them correctly, then you should be good to go. I forget which site i used at the time to size the 251s but i didnt do much more than just measured and compared with the standard sizes. Many of these places sold individually or by 50s as i recall. One place, i got a whole kit for 10 bux with tons of orings of all sizes in a nice case. There may even be the size you're looking for in that (that was allorings.com)

I noticed the orings in the new pt-020 housing are now not identical in size (i.e. 1 is thicker than the other ). So for anyone getting or measuring those, be aware of that.

steve

Has any one reported any 0-ring Promblems to Olympus , and let them now the shaft O-rings are wearing rather quickly , they need to start selling replacemnt o rings for there entire camera Houseing like maybe rebuild kit or something like that .

http://www.digitaldiver.net/yabbse/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=5433

All are metric sizes - a Japanese standard.

This thread references a mode control o-ring with a larger cross section than the original. The fatter o-ring will minimize the potential for a leak at this point.

A US size may work for the 2 main housing seals. Just make sure you're not using an old stretched red one for reference. Actually measure the inner surface of the housing grooves, then calculate the ID of the o-ring required. A US cross section should match pretty close.

I sent my PT-015 back to Olympus a week and half agoc since it was under warranty. UPS says it will arive today so we'll see what they did. They at least know of one that had o-ring problem.

Back
Top Bottom