PT-023 Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh my God.....Are you kidding???? I would be terrified of getting that rig close to a sink much less the open water...

Oh my God.....Are you kidding???? I would be terrified of getting that rig close to a sink much less the open water...

It has made over 100 dives with similar tape jobs over the last 2 years. Approximately 15 were over 100' with the deepest being 138'. Remember, the o-rings are still providing the seal. The tape just holds the port in contact with the o-rings. It is much more structural and secure than the origional tabs and rotating locks.

The heavy duty duct tape works best since it does not tear as easily. The final product is not pretty but it has never leaked during a week of diving. Note that the o-rings are still the primary seal with the duct tape only to hold in place, add structural support, and act as secondary seal. Since I just returned from a week of diving and have not removed the tape yet, attached are a few pictures. The appearance of the tape going into the port/housing groove in the second picture is not real; this is the ledge from the housing to the port and not the port/housing groove/interface location. I do not remove the tape until I return home from a trip when I remove and clean the housing/port. I hope to replace this system later this year or early next year if my finances allow.

Actually the O-rings are the ONLY water tight seal that you have or is needed. The duct tape is doing nothing more than keeping the port from coming off which is what the tabs where doing. Once to depth, the water pressure will hold the port in place pretty tight also, so the duct tape is needed more on land and initial decent.

In any case, I just wanted to point out that over doing the duct tape is not helping the seal any and isn't necessary beyond holding the port in place if it works. That's a new one, but if it works great.. :D

:crying2:
Actually the O-rings are the ONLY water tight seal that you have or is needed. The duct tape is doing nothing more than keeping the port from coming off which is what the tabs where doing. Once to depth, the water pressure will hold the port in place pretty tight also, so the duct tape is needed more on land and initial decent.

In any case, I just wanted to point out that over doing the duct tape is not helping the seal any and isn't necessary beyond holding the port in place if it works. That's a new one, but if it works great.. :D

You are correct about the seal, although in the 70's when I occasionally made underwater lights I found that a good duct tape application could reduce leakage quite substantially (application of the first 2 layer are most important). The duct tape on the housing is much more structural and reliable than the original tabs when on the boat or when transporting the rig. I do overdo it, but this gives me more confidence in handling on the boat since it feels solid. And I gave up caring what it looked like soon after my first few attempts to communicate with Olympus service.

:crying2:

You are correct about the seal, although in the 70's when I occasionally made underwater lights I found that a good duct tape application could reduce leakage quite substantially (application of the first 2 layers are most important). The duct tape on the housing is much more structural and reliable than the original tabs when on the boat or when transporting the rig. I do overdo it, but this gives me more confidence in handling on the boat since it feels solid. And I gave up caring what it looked like soon after my first few attempts to communicate with Olympus service.

Hi. just like my PT-016, the PT-023 housing had been discontinued by Olympus long ago. I had a quick look on Olympus.com, and they only have a few accessories for your camera for sale, like o-rings etc. maybe it's time to upgrade your camera and housing? I've just gotten my last o-ring kits for my pt-016 recently, and they'll last me a while though I will have no choice but to upgrade in the future.

The part I hate is that you can only get the main o-ring thru Oly. I can't find the button o-rings anywhere.....I think all would be replaceable if you had a way to pressure test the rig... I hate the thought of paying $130 to send in a unit that is only 2 years old to get the orings & such serviced......

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I've merged this thread with an earlier one on the PT 023... there are several other workarounds discussed that might do for you :)

The o-rings should last a long time if you keep them lubricated and out of the sun. I keep mine in a zip lock bag with some lubricant when not in use.

There was a post a year or so ago about a source for the button o-rings. I have never replaced these so didn't write down. The PT-023 has so many buttons that are never used that, if I needed one, I would probably steal from an unused button and plug the hole.

I haven't attempted to deal with Olympus service in more than year but, if they have not changed, they are undoubtedly the primary reason more people don't buy Olympus housings since there have been so many complaints on the internet about them. It was encouraging to see recently that they were replacing some of the 410 housings with 510 (or 520) housings because of a design defect. Unfortunately, they never agreed to replace the PT-023 even though its design defect was much worse than the 410 housing. There position of not selling parts that have nothing to do with housing leakage resistance without sending in your housing and getting it pressure tested is especially irksome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom