PT Surge light: how long between bulb replacements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pisces

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering how long your bulbs last in your dive lights? My Princeton Tec Surge bulb broke after less than 20 dives.

I’m on my second Princeton Tec Surge light. I mailed back my first one, and they replaced it for free because of design problems with the first version. The first Surge light kept dieing underwater in the middle of the dive, and then it just stopped working completely after a few dives. With this second Surge light, it worked great on my dive trip last year, and then it died last month on a dive trip. So, I’ve used for less than 20 dives (I don’t use it for anything other than night dives on trips). Now, it’ll cost me around $12 to replace the bulb (~$6 for bulb + ~$6 for shipping from brightguy.com). For about another $10 or so, I could just buy a whole new light….

In stark contrast, I’ve had my Ikelite PClite for about 8 years. I’ve used on every dive trip for every night dive and sometimes during day dives. I’ve never had to replace the bulb (or anything on the light) or had any problems whatsoever….

I like the brightness and the size of the Surge light, but I’m kind of tired with dealing with constant problems with the Surge light. I’ve had two Surge lights now and have not been able to use either of them for more than a few dives before they failed somehow. I’m a casual, recreational diver that dives once a year if she's lucky, so it’s not like my dive lights are overly stressed or anything…. I’ve only ever used two dive lights. The PClite and the Surge. One has been reliable and problem free, and the other can’t seem to last more than a few dives…. So, I don't know which one is the outlier....

Is it “normal” for a bulb to break so easily or quickly?

Should I just give up on the Surge light and buy another Ikelite?

I don’t think they make the PClite anymore. What is the current version of this model?

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

-----------------------
Edited to add that I see that the Ikelite PClite is now offered as 7.5W Halogen light, which I don't think my old model is.... Do halogen bulbs have shorter lives than other bulbs?

The early Surges at least seemed problematic. We had 2, one failed on me on a dive, the bulb simply fell off. I sent both lights back because I figured the other would fail sooner or later and they replaced the guts of both no problem. The battery holder seems a little easier to load too. I haven't had a problem since and it's been quite awhile but I don't know that I would buy another. It's a nice compact but bright light and I like it for daytime/backup, but the bulb mounting design seems plain dumb. When I look at it I'm not even sure how to replace the bulb, it doesn't have a real socket but looks almost like the bulb is soldered in place. I tried a little on the new one to pull it out and couldn't.

Damselfish:
The early Surges at least seemed problematic. We had 2, one failed on me on a dive, the bulb simply fell off. I sent both lights back because I figured the other would fail sooner or later and they replaced the guts of both no problem. The battery holder seems a little easier to load too. I haven't had a problem since and it's been quite awhile but I don't know that I would buy another. It's a nice compact but bright light and I like it for daytime/backup, but the bulb mounting design seems plain dumb. When I look at it I'm not even sure how to replace the bulb, it doesn't have a real socket but looks almost like the bulb is soldered in place. I tried a little on the new one to pull it out and couldn't.

Hi Damselfish,

Yeah, when I first looked at the bulb, it looked soldered on to me too, which is why I emailed Princeton Tec expecting them to send me a new replacement board or something, particularly as I've hardly used the light at all. They told me that I could buy a replacement bulb at brightguy.com.

Since my bulb was already broken, I applied more force and pulled out the bulb. Just pull and wiggle it a bit. The bulb has two thin prongs on the bottom that fit into two holes on the board.

I haven't spent a HUGE amount of money on the Surge "experience" but not an insignificant amount either, probably total of $50 for the original Surge, shipping costs, and shipping costs to return the first Surge. I'm wondering if I should just write off the light as sunk costs and not throw good money after bad by trying to replace to bulb. Having to buy a replacement bulb for every dive trip would get annoying and significantly increase the cost of the light.... If I bought another light, it wouldn't be another Surge either....

Well, mine was 'fixed' about 18 months ago and it's been carted along on ~100 dives since without bulb problems, though I don't use it on all dives. I'd probably hope it was a fluke and replace the bulb this time, though I'd hate to pay $12 for a bulb. (I bought a spare but I either found it in a shop or tacked it onto an order I was making anyway, so it didn't really add to the shipping.) If the next one went quickly I'd complain to Princeton again, about the thing eating bulbs.

Damselfish:
Well, mine was 'fixed' about 18 months ago and it's been carted along on ~100 dives since without bulb problems, though I don't use it on all dives. I'd probably hope it was a fluke and replace the bulb this time, though I'd hate to pay $12 for a bulb. (I bought a spare but I either found it in a shop or tacked it onto an order I was making anyway, so it didn't really add to the shipping.) If the next one went quickly I'd complain to Princeton again, about the thing eating bulbs.

Hi,

That's probably what I'll do.... It'll likely be at least another year before I get to go diving again, so sometime next year, I'll figure out what other dive stuff I "need" and put together an order that includes the bulb.

Thanks for your replies!

I've had my surge for over a year now and carried it on 63 dives. Night or day because sometimes the vis locally gets real crappy around 70 ft. it stays in my bc pocket has the original bulb and i just put in my second set of batteries. it gets cleaned and rinsed and the oring lubed after every weekend of diving. it has given me no problems at all.

Back
Top Bottom