Puerto Morelos report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

editmojo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Stayed at Ocean Turquesa just north of Puerto Morelos Feb 17-24. A new but very average AI.

Did two tanks with Scuba Cancun which operates between Puerto Morelos and Playa del Carmen in a small marina. DMs Rafael and Venus did a fine job. Short fills on all the tanks No one had more than 2700 psi. Not to much of a problem as the 2 reefs we dove were 40-45 feet. Rental gear was adequate. The reefs were unimpressive. Viz-30-50 ft, Temp 77-79 F. Dives were called at 35-40 min. as we were with a group of newer divers. Several juvenal spotted drums, Scorpion fish. I missed a huge turtle. Saw several lion fish on each dive. The DM was trying to catch them for "reef preservation". More on this later.

Later in the week did two tanks with "Dive it," Oceans house op. The gear was very well used but serviceable. They use squat steel 80 CF tanks which I had never seen before and were very nice to use. Easily took 5lbs off the weight belt. Dove with Cuauhtli, A very good DM. He took myself and a young Canadian couple to the wreck of the Juan Escotia in about 95 ft. Very choppy that day and the Canadians fed the fish a lot. The wreck was very nice with a family of eagle rays constantly circling the ship. Probably 100 ft to the bottom, Viz 80-90 ft, you could easily see the wreck from the surface, Temp 79 F.

Dive 2 was a reef similar to the first ones I dove. Again more lion fish. Cuauhti was aware of preservation efforts concerning the lion fish but said the other DM was probably going to sell the fish on the black market.. The entire Dive it crew seemed very proficient and friendly. I would recommend them but next time I will bring my own reg.

The next day I dove Dos Ohos, a cenote about an hour south of Puerto Morales. Dive it arranged for Juan ( I can't remember his last name) a freelance caver to take myself and Thomas, a German gentleman that apparently doesn't need to breath. Juan gave us an extensive history and briefing during the trip down. A short drive off the main road and we were at the parking lot and staging area. Juan had us first carry our second tank down to the entrance, a fairly large open cavern a very short walk from the lot, with a platform and 2 ladders into the cenote. Juan again explained the game plan. We went back up to the truck, geared up ,walked back down and strided off the platform into the 77 F water. Juan tweaked our buoyancy before he led us into the overhead portions of the dive. What an amazing pair of dives. It was like floating thru a cathedral. I would highly recommend these dives. It was a unique experience for me. Vis--unlimited except for the rocks. Never got deeper than 26 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom