Puerto Rico Dive Operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Brad

Reaction score
We dive all over the place but one location I haven't been to is Puerto Rico. I've love to get your collective feedback on who is the best operator and where is the best places to stay while there.

As Always you guys are the best!

Happy Diving

Puerto Rico offers plenty of diving. From recreational to Technical. What is your interest? Depending on your interest, that is where you should consider going. We are located in the west side of the island. We offer a wide variety of dives. Even though we are a technical center we do cater to the recreational customer. Let us know Check us out www.technicaldivingpr.com

Tony

Hi Brad,

As my friends at Tech Diving PR note there is a wonderful world of undescoverd diving in PR... but it really does depend on what you are looking for and who is in your party. Oh... Feb is a really busy time here so be sure to book your accomodations and diveing well in advance.

You can also post this question in the regional forum.

As a west coast (PR) guy I would recomend technicaldivingpr for both advanced training and some great close in diving, they are up in Aguadilla. My own operation (tainodivers.com) runs a great recreational boat out to Desecheo Island (I drive it half the time). Wonderful viz and very healthy reefs. Down south Parguera Divers (pargueradivers.com) runs a first rate boat out to the Parguera Wall... also a great trip.

Hello, I am also going to Puerto Rico and would love any information you have. I am looking at staying in Rincon, what's your opinion? Also, my wife and I are new to diving, but are very comfortable in the water, any operator suggestions for people like us?

Taino divers in Rincon were a mixed bag (sorry Tollie)- I went with them once last year and b/c of engine troubles the boat was unable to go out to Desecheo- if that's the case, stick to snorkeling at Steps Beach- the local dive was awful. I tried them again a few months ago (no other operators in Rincon) and they were great. I'd certainly recommend Taino's trip to Desecheo. BTW, they also have a great restaurant next door (Shipwreck).
I'm still trying to find someone who goes out to Mona, but I've heard that a few fatalities due to dehydration/exposure have made traveling there next to impossible.

Thanks for the info. Another question if I may, what is the shore diving like, and should I bring my gear with me or rent. Also, I am traveling in May, should I try to book dive trips in advance before I get to the island?

The shore diving isn't great- one of the reasons Rincon is popular is b/c of the great surfing.
You can certainly rent from the dive operators- I bring my own stuff as a matter of personal preference. Thankfully they also have backup equipment in the event of failure- as an example, my mask strap went south, and they had another mask that I used for the second dive.
I would certainly make reservations in advance- the problem with one dive operator in Rincon is that if they're booked, you have to travel 45 minutes to Cabo Rojo to find another. With dive boats usually casting off at 7:30-8 am that's not one of my favorite things.

dbosullivan:
The shore diving isn't great- one of the reasons Rincon is popular is b/c of the great surfing.

You can certainly rent from the dive operators- I bring my own stuff as a matter of personal preference. Thankfully they also have backup equipment in the event of failure- as an example, my mask strap went south, and they had another mask that I used for the second dive.

I would certainly make reservations in advance- the problem with one dive operator in Rincon is that if they're booked, you have to travel 45 minutes to Cabo Rojo to find another. With dive boats usually casting off at 7:30-8 am that's not one of my favorite things.

This information is not correct at all! We dive Rincon all year. Just like any other place sometimes weather gets nasty and so diving is not an option. There are several spots in Rincon one of them is "Steps" which is in fact a marine reserve. Lots of Elk and Deer coral. These corals are on the endangered list. There is a Wall dive at Corsega, and many others. You should always consult with the local Dive Shops where to dive. We would be more than happy to show you around!

We do rent equipment and service equipment. We do offer a wide variety of rental equipment from Rec to Tek and Rebreathers. If you want to travel light, we can provide all your needs.

Reservations are advisable this time of the year. Heavy season starts in Feb. I know Taino Divers in Rincon get full very quick. They have an Excellent operation and do charters to Desecheo Island (weather permitting). We do book dives with them and so far they have been great and very professional.

In Cabo Rojo, we recommend West Divers www.westdiverspr.com The owner (Pilar Mendez) runs an excellent operation and is willing to meet your needs. Parguera is an excellent dive spot because of its location in the island and the wide variety of diving enviroments (walls, reef, etc). The South part of the island tend to be more calm than any othe area.

If you have any other questions, pm me or check our website www.technicaldivingpro.com

Cheers
Tony

Tony:
I've been to Rincon at least 6 times in the past year and a half, and have considered buying property there.
But let's get real- I snorkel the Steps (Playa Escalera) whenever I'm there, but if the waves are up, the viz is dismal.
There's a reason the 2007 Masters Surfing Championship is being held in Rincon, and the 1968 World Surfing Championship was there- waves.

Back
Top Bottom