Trip Report Puerto Rico Dive Report - Early September 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A number of people on ScubaBoard deride the large boats, such as using the term 'cattle boat,' as they like smaller groups in an area of the reef, and may think their little group may get more influence in choosing dive spots if their group fills or nearly fills the boat.

On the other hand, some people like larger boats as they are more stable, more likely to have an onboard bathroom (i.e.: head), and so forth. And larger groups that wish to dive together need larger boats.
Of course. That's exactly why I wrote about it. Some will prefer smaller boats. Some wont mind. Others will. And now they will know before they get on board.

Glad to see Puerto Rico getting more attention on ScubaBoard lately. The more detailed trip reports, the easier it is to research as a potential dive destination, the more likely more people are to go, writing more reports, making potential trips less 'off the beaten path' and more accessible to others.
Happy to write about it!

Thanks for reading.

How long were the boat rides to these dive sites?
10-15 minutes to the first one. 10-15 minutes to the next one because the boat went slow to let us gain more surface interval.

I can probably deal with that. I'll ask them to drive more quickly to the next stop so I can spend more of the SI in the water so I don't get sick. I've never had a shop refuse. Thanks so much for this thread!

Thanks so much for this thread!
Sure thing. Let me know if you have any other question.

Great videos - we'll try Island Scuba next time we're down in the neighborhood!

May I ask about your camera/video setup? Love the quality of the video.

Great videos - we'll try Island Scuba next time we're down in the neighborhood!

May I ask about your camera/video setup? Love the quality of the video.
It’s a hands-me-down old GoPro 8. I used a red filter in the first two videos but I won’t any more. When the sun shines into the lens, it shows way too much of the red tint.

Thanks for watching!

I think I'll try to use Island Scuba. I'm heading down the week of the 22nd for work, so I'll fly in on Saturday morning and hopefully get two dives in on Sunday morning. What time did the boats return to the dock? And is one dive an option? If so, I might be able to do one dive each morning before heading to the plant.

@sup - Nayda is usually back to the dock by 11am. Boat leaves around 7am - earliest of any op in the area. Paradise leaves @8am. Scuba Dogs say they leave @7aM too, but they need 3 peeps to sign up in order to go - doesn't happen often.

Hmmm, I contacted Island Scuba but their website does not allow bookings for Sunday so it looks like I may have to go with another shop. I looked at scuba dogs and they were ridiculously expensive $100 per dive ($200/day) but Paradise looks good as a second choice. I'll give Island Scuba until tonight to get back to me. I tried calling them but there was nobody on the other end when they picked up (I'm guessing a signal issue?).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom