Puerto Rico Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alara1972

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Good day, all... Returned last week from a trip to Puerto Rico. We stayed on the western side of the island near Aguadilla and I spent a half day diving with Taino Divers out of Rincon. Met at the dive shop at 7:30am along with 4 other divers. After signing in and paying we walked a short distance to a small stretch of shore where the dive boat would manuever closely so we could load up the boat with gear, food, and paying guests. We formed a fire line and the load up was done in short order and wasn't very taxing and soon enough we were on our way to our first destination. I had expected to dive Desecheo Island but due to unpleasant conditions (high waves and wind) we were taken to alternative sights. I don't have my log book handy as I write today but for those that are interested I'll be happy to let you know the name of these locations upon request...
Before continuing I must add that I wasn't feeling my very best after a late night out ( I got about 3 hours sleep) and forgetting to take my sea sickness pills that morning...
But I did make it to the first location without vomitting! It's these little victories that count!
There were two DM's aboard. One would guide myself and 3 others for the dive and the other DM was involved with the OW cert with the other diver. My group geared up and received a competent dive brief then stepped off the boat and descended below while the other DM and student remained topside. Due to the above mentioned conditions visability wasn't the best. I'd say 50-70ft but there was little current and little surge below... My stomach was grateful.
There were plenty of coral, sponges, and typical carribean fish and the average depth of our dive was about 60ft with a max of 103ft according to my computer. All in all a typical carribean dive but during my ascent I began hearing whale song/singing. I looked from side to side and below me but couldn't see anything. I resumed my ascent, did my 3 minute safety stop, and reached the surface. After being helped aboard I learned that the other DM and student had witnesed a humback whale and calf and they breached the water to take a breath of air about 30 ft from the boat. If I only would have been looking up at the time I would have seen them! Damn...
The boat provided pasta salad, fresh mangos, chips, sodas, and water during our surface interval but I was only able to eat a small amount due to my sea sickness and the little I did eat just came out any way so I stuck to drinking fluids.
We traveled to our next location which would be a drift dive, received a short brief, and again descended below. Much of the same was seen at this location. The DM pulled out a large lobster from it's hiding place and we sighted a lionfish as well, a mean looking black one. I'll see what I can do to attach a picture of it. On this dive we averaged about 50 ft with a max of 75ft. Water temperature was a wonderful 80 degrees fahrenheit. After surfacing and stowing our gear away, we all chipped in on moving the air tanks and gear toward the bow to make it easier and faster to unload. That process was the same upon loading and it didn't take us long to help load up the truck. All in all an uneventful but pleasant dive and Taino Divers were a great bunch of people and I highly recommend them. The only disappointment was not going to Desecheo Island but nature just wouldn't allow it and that's completely understandable. The family and I enjoyed our stay and we were able to see plenty of sights and try out the local food. I hope you all enjoy the update. It looks like we'll begin plans for a Belize vacation next year... I hope so!

Attachments

• PICT0424.jpg
    PICT0424.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 80
Used to have a blast diving with Taino! Happen to remember who capt and DMs were?

You weren't a victim of Piratas, were you? :D :wink:

I believe the DM's were Frank and Izzy. What's Piratas?

Ah... you didn't hang out with Taino Divers enough! Piratas are a tasty and lethal blend of rums, coconut milk, and nutmeg served at Villa Cofresi.
They are a frequent cause of hangovers in those parts!

No, I didn't get the oppurtunity to hang with those guys but I wish I could have had a few Piratas! Those actually sound pretty damn good!

Glad you enjoyed it. Keep Desecheo in your list for a next time. It is my favorite site in PR.

Yes, Desecheo is gorgeous! I'd like to hit Inside Pinnacle right now!

Yeah... a few Piratas is a few evenings. When you order one, it's a coconut full and a Solo cup full. Two causes blindness in most mortals. Really.
*smack smack smack!* I could stand to have one myself!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom