Puerto Vallarta dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wonderful diving at Marietas yesterday. Tons of triggerfish, parrot fish, and the works. Viz about 50-60 ft. Temp 85F. It doesn´t get much better than this, so come dive at Puerto Vallarta this summer/fall season.

We´re planning a trip to La Corbeteña this week end, so if you´re in town now´s your chance...

Alex from PVScuba

Amazing diving at Chimo yesterday, "Torrecillas" and "Las Iglesias" reefs. 100+ ft viz. Saw a Giant Manta, several turtles, giant Parrotfish, and so many fish that we were all awed.

'Tis the season to be jolly... diving in Puerto Vallarta!

Alex from PVScuba

Dove at La Corbeteña today... It's a long trip (1.5 hrs cruising at 24 knots), yet well worth it.

Did 2 dives with an average depth of 70-75 ft, so we were glad to be using Nitrox.

It was turtle day. They were just all over the place. Check out some of the pics...

Hope to have you along next time...

Alex from PVScuba

Attachments

• tortuga3-750.jpg
    tortuga3-750.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 121
  • tortuga5-750.jpg
    tortuga5-750.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 109
  • tortuga4-750.jpg
    tortuga4-750.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 109
  • safetystop750.jpg
    safetystop750.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 110
Since I was on the Corbeteña trip, I thought I'd post my report on the dive. It's a little more descriptive than Alex's...:14:
It had been one year and six weeks exactly since my last trip to Corbeteña. I know because it was on June 1, 2007, Navy Day in Mexico. Corbeteña is one of the few open ocean dive location in Puerto Vallarta and because its distance and unpredictable currents, trips aren’t that common, so when the opportunity comes up to go, you take it.

Thirty-six miles out from shore, the trip takes anywhere from an hour and a half to what seems like eternity if the sea is rough; although the average is more like two hours. It doesn’t look like much from the surface, just some rocks jutting out of the water, but underwater is a whole other story.

When the five of us (plus crew) arrived at Corbeteña, it seemed like the current wasn’t going to let us descend using the line. We would have to start descending immediately once we hit the water. Fortunately, this ended up not being the case and we descended close to the line. The water was crystal clear with fantastic visibility, so there wasn’t much danger of us getting separated (yet). As I descended near the line, the very first thing I saw was the serene face of a sea turtle as she glided past us.

Sea turtles are common in the Bay of Banderas and this area, but in my 62 dives in this area, I can count the number of times I’ve seen sea turtles while diving on one hand. Out in Corbeteña, apparently you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a sea turtle. I saw many turtles during my two dives on Sunday.

With the warm, clear water and the sun shining brightly the colors underwater were alive. The pinks, oranges and yellows of the coral, and the brightly colored fish simply shone. The water temp was 84 degrees even at depth, which on the first dive was down to 90 feet. The rock formations under water are amazing at Corbeteña; shallow caves and pass-throughs, towers and coves. In one nook on my second dive, I found a rather large, tasty-looking lobster peering out at me.

The second dive was more challenging as the currents had picked up some. We had an enjoyable ride on the current, which is as close as many of us will get to flying. Unfortunately, a current carried off one of our dive team, so one of the instructors had to retrieve him from the surface. It is not a dive for beginners. The currents can be very strong and you can tire quickly struggling against them or be swept away to God knows where if you don’t escape it fast. Still, the fish are absolutely huge out at Corbeteña and last summer there were white-tip sharks in the area. If you get the opportunity, Corbeteña shouldn’t be missed. And of course, you should always dive with PV Scuba!

Yeah, I guess I need to take a creative writing course.

Anyway, since our business is diving and not writing, I thank you for your enjoyable description of our Corbeteña dive.

Looking forward to having you along for more diving...

Alex from PVScuba

Been diving most every day for the past few weeks. Water temp has been in the mid 80sF, 30C and visibility has been great, varying from 50 to 100 ft on different locatios and different days.

Here are some pictures of sea critters taken by Dr. Alicia Hermosillo, PhD at various locations within our bay in the last few days. Enjoy!

Alex from PVScuba

Attachments

• frogfish.jpg
    frogfish.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 81
  • seahorse.jpg
    seahorse.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 74
  • nudibranch1.jpg
    nudibranch1.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 69
  • nudibranch2.jpg
    nudibranch2.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 78
  • nudibranch3.jpg
    nudibranch3.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 72
  • nudibranch4.jpg
    nudibranch4.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 61
  • nudibranch5.jpg
    nudibranch5.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 67
  • nudibranch7.jpg
    nudibranch7.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 75
  • nudibranch6.jpg
    nudibranch6.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 69
cruise ship in the week of 9-27-10-04 any interest in 2 divers?? maybe more

Hi. We've been diving all over the place in the past few days: Los Arcos, Majahuitas, Marietas, etc.

Visibility has had a lot of variation from day to day. Since the past week or so we've had strong rains in the afternoons, the silt washing down from the rivers had lowered viz, specially at lower depths. Down to about 40 ft depth we've had an average of about 25ft viz, with water clearing up on deeper dives.

Water temp has been steady at 86F / 30C throug 60+ feet, dropping 2-3 degrees at 80-100 ft.

Still, diving has been very nice with very abundant sea life.

hope to see you underwater when you visit PV

Alex from PVScuba

Headed down to PV Wednesday and diving with Alex Thursday and Saturday. Two days of diving was all my wife would go for. Looking forward to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom