Puerto Viejo and/or Punta Uva, Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDiva

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a couple of friends who are brand spankin' new divers. They are going on a trip to Punta Uva, Costa Rica late Jan/early Feb of 2011.

Does anyone have any dive shop/site recommendations or must know advice for them? I can't find a whole lot of useful information online about those areas for diving and would rather hear about someone's personal experiences.

It won't be primarily a dive trip, but they would definitely like to see more than they did in our lovely, sludgy Lake Travis where they couldn't even see each other...much less anything else.

As far as i know,
the best dive operation on the caribbean side is Punta Uva Dive Center.
Punta Uva Dive Center - Scuba Dive & Snorkel in the Caribbean sea in Costa Rica

Clients i've sent there where happy with them, but i personally never had the time to dive with them. As youThey are in Punta Uva, go and give them a try, but please post your experiences!

Chris

I spent two months in Puerto Viejo in 2000. Didn't dive or snorkel (wasn't a diver then). Seen from the surface, though, the visibility didn't seem very good, due to lots of waves and rainfalls. More of a surfer spot than a typical Caribbean beach destination with flat turquoise water. Hopefully, there are quiet dive sites in the area. If not, and if they have time, maybe they can take a trip to nearby Bocas del Toro in Panama.

It's really not a good place for diving. I used to live in the area (Changuinola, Panama) and we would invite our friends from Puerto Viejo down to dive at Bocas Del Toro. It's a trip of several hours, but if you are intent on diving, I would recommend it. Maybe for someone who has never experienced the Caribbean as a diver, the little reefs in southern Costa Rica would be enough of an improvement over a silty quarry or lake to make it interesting. But if they have a day or two, it might be best to head to Bocas.

Back
Top Bottom