Pulau Weh - worth a stopover ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Immeriswas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For our next trip in Oct/Nov to Indonesia we are planning a stop in KL to visit some friends. They suggest a week in Pulau Weh before revisiting Siau.
Been to some places in Indonesia ( RA, Komodo, Bali, Maratua, Sulawesi, Moluccu and Halmahera ) already and have some more on the buket list like Alor , Togians and Wakatobi, but it would fit in travellwise so nicely.
Anyone, who have been there and could compare it to the places above ?.

Matt has his opinion...
But there are good people there just trying to make a living...so ye... up to you.
That being said the diving is no where close to any of those places you have mentioned!!
If RA is a 10 then I'd say Bali is about a solid 7.5 but P Weh is a 5!
It does have some interesting dives and there is a bit of muck....and the island is pretty...but....if you had the options of other places like Alor...then that's where I would go without hesitating.

Banda Aceh was decimated by the tsunami in 2004. The internal problem(Free Aceh) has resolved or has it?
Ramadan this yr is from 23 Apr to 23 May so Oct/Nov should be fine for the infidel.

If the OP has time and inclination then why not. A short flight from KUL to BTJ and then ferry across.

I’ve been three times last year alone. It’s an amazing part of the world and the diving is brilliant, albeit current heavy.
The political issues ended with the tsunami and there is ZERO inclination to continue. Remember that this area lives under Sharia Laws so appropriate dress and demeanour is expected. Although a few beers can be consumed by the guests.
I highly recommend LumbaLumba. Good boats, well maintained rental gear and some of the cheapest diving in the world.
If you’re qualified Tec try dropping on the wreck of the Sophie Rickmers.

Matt has his opinion...
But there are good people there just trying to make a living...so ye... up to you.
That being said the diving is no where close to any of those places you have mentioned!!
If RA is a 10 then I'd say Bali is about a solid 7.5 but P Weh is a 5!
It does have some interesting dives and there is a bit of muck....and the island is pretty...but....if you had the options of other places like Alor...then that's where I would go without hesitating.

@AlMitch thanks for your insight.
How would you compare the diving at Pulau Weh to the diving at Gili islands?

I’ve been three times last year alone. It’s an amazing part of the world and the diving is brilliant, albeit current heavy.
The political issues ended with the tsunami and there is ZERO inclination to continue. Remember that this area lives under Sharia Laws so appropriate dress and demeanour is expected. Although a few beers can be consumed by the guests.
I highly recommend LumbaLumba. Good boats, well maintained rental gear and some of the cheapest diving in the world.
If you’re qualified Tec try dropping on the wreck of the Sophie Rickmers.

Hey @Bump_Head cheers for your post. It's been on my bucket list, and I was meant to go in 2018 & booked flights. But the night before my morning flight from Medan, a killer toothache came out of nowhere. So I cancelled trip & fixed my tooth in Bali

What's the water temperature like there? And does it vary much at different times of the year?
Any Mola Mola known to show up there?

Hey @Bump_Head cheers for your post. It's been on my bucket list, and I was meant to go in 2018 & booked flights. But the night before my morning flight from Medan, a killer toothache came out of nowhere. So I cancelled trip & fixed my tooth in Bali

What's the water temperature like there? And does it vary much at different times of the year?
Any Mola Mola known to show up there?

You get the mix of the Andaman Sea and the Bay of Bengal. Temps normally 28 degrees to 25 at 50m which for me is board shorts and a rash guard. Towards the end of the year (- Oct) the upwelling starts. It’s patchy most times but can encompass the area Jan/Feb. On the upside it brings in the Oceanic Devil Rays. Pelagics are common year round as are the Bottle Nose Dolphins.
I’m not aware of any Mola Mola sightings.

I will bow out of this thread but do some research about the government in Aceh. There are all sorts of regions in Indonesia with good people who do not make public spectacles out of beating women, teenage couples, homosexuals...the list goes on and on..while hundreds laugh and cheer. Be sure to check out youtube in the process. Cheers all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom