Pulau Weh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't dived there but I hear it's fantastic. As far as I know there are only 2 dive operators. I stopped searching after the Bali bombing. There's been a bunch of travel adviseries for the area if you pay attention to that stuff. Here's the url for Lumba Lumba Divers:

http://www.pulauweh.com/

When I contacted them they included these addresses for more info on the area.

http://www.fides-reisen.de/tauchen/pulauweh/start_dia.html

http://asiandiver.com/themagazine/indonesia/pulauweh-bearings.html

http://www.diveglobal.com/explore_destinations/divertales/mar2001.asp

Hope it helps.

i checked out the url's and wow ! does look interesting. getting there seems a bit kludgy, though. but then, with a long enough dive trip, might be cool to do. and there's also something good about going to a less publicised place.

i just tried to post a huge reply singing the praises of PW but it got lost somewhere. sorry but i cant type it all over again. just go, its the best place in the world! do a search on scubaboard - i have posted before about pulau weh.
i loved my 4 months there so much, i want to go back!!!!!!!!!!

james

I've never been there, but for those of you who may not be aware, Pulau Weh is in Indonesia's Aceh Province. Aceh is plagued by an on-going "conflict" between Muslim separatists and the Indonesian military. Over the years, hundreds if not thousands, have been killed. Most Western countries strongly discourage their nationals from travelling to Aceh. The Australians for example have the following warning in their Advisory for Indonesia:

quote: Australians are advised to avoid travel to west Timor, Maluku and North Maluku, Aceh, unquote.

In these uncertain times, you may want to take this information into consideration.

With time, hopefully peace will reign, and the diving will still be there to enjoy!

hey reefwreck,
since u actually havent been there, i would recommend u keep your uninformed opinion to yourself.

i spent 4 months there and only heard about 9/11 a couple days later via a random txt message. not once did i encounter problems. the real local acehnese people are peaceful. its like the rest of indo where u are treated as movie stars.

if u are honest with yourself, no where in the world is safe. but with your attitude perhaps its better if u wait another 50 years before u try go to an area with historical problems.

for a bit of a history lesson, here it is. Aceh is a strictly muslim province, but not fanatical. the war in aceh, which has been going for about 50 years, is because the acehnese want to be their own separate state way. going back hundreds of years it has been virtually separate. the only reason jakarta wants aceh is because it is so rich in natural resources - look at leuksemawe for natural gases, the forests for timber etc... the thing is that jakarta takes about 90% of the revenue generated by the region, leaving the locals with jacksh.i.t.

i live in sydney and we have guards patrolling the harbour bridge now 24hrs a day and they have identified the opera house as a possible target come new years eve. what am i going to do?? move because its not safe? where to?

as i said before, and i have the experience of actually being there, u can get to pulau weh by flying the whole way. if i didnt think PW was safe, i wouldnt recommend people to go there.
i am from south africa and have actually started to discourage people to go there because of the amount of tourists who die every month. but then again i read in the newspaper this morning that 3 aussies have been raped in ireland in the past month!?

the only safe place is at home, on your sofa, wrapped in bubble wrap... but be careful to not suffocate...

pulau weh rocks :boom:

4 months, huh, james ? cool.

so are the websites pretty nose on ? i mean 4 months is enough to get both the good and the bad didivng days (not that being able to go diving is bad. i had a 7 minut dive once - logged because it was an interesting experience. some might deem it a bad dive but the ...

anyways, i digress. and by the way, is it pretty kid friendly e.g. snorkeling gear, kiddie food (5/7 year olds)

Sounds an exciting place and pretty remote... Cool. Anyone has any advice on how long to stay there ? How many dove days would you recommend ?

hey frogfish,

i would do at least 10 dives in Pulau Weh. by that time u will stay for your whole 2 month visa :D :D !! 10 dives would allow you to dive the Canyon, Peunateung, Tokong, Arus Paleeh - Bastard Current, Batee Gla, Rubiah etc... the shops do 10 dives for US$150 incl equipment. u can bargain if u have your own kit. the beach diving is also not bad for US$6 for a tank!

dont go away, go to weh!! :bonk: :bonk:

JP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom