Pulmonary barotrauma and AGE hit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@DandyDon: I think it's great that someone else is joining in the conversation. Whenever an incident like this occurs, it's always good to review the meds the patient was taking.

You've included a lot of helpful info on the various formulations of over-the-counter meds. It can be confusing for someone who doesn't read the labels carefully. Brand name labels can be misleading, as you've pointed out.

The only thing I'll add to your last post is that divers should be cognizant of potential drug interactions if they are taking multiple over-the-counter or prescription meds simultaneously. For example, it's possible for someone to get into trouble if they have allergies and go on a boat dive or liveaboard vacation. The diver might take an antihistamine to address the allergy issue and then take another antihistamine for seasickness prevention. Not good.

Thanks Bubble. It'd be easier if the generic names weren't so challenging, as well as so small on the boxes - but then the manufacturers don't want use comparing apples to apples for costs.

My daughter is a smart lady, a very respected special ed teacher, but sometimes she amazes me. She recently took it upon herself to use a cough syrup prescribed for my 8 yo granddaughter, doubled the dose for herself, then tried to convert milliliters to teaspoons - ending up with 10 times as much, and dizzy...! :silly:

Thanks Don. I'm pretty sure it was Phenylephrine HCl 10mg...Walgreen generic. But I took 2 morning of the accident for the first time. Had only taken 1 before. Also used some Mucinex nasal spray. I don't drink, smoke or consume anything to cause me to have an altered state ever, so things tend to hit me pretty hard. Always well hydrated onboard, too. Did have coffee each morning and no food.

Thanks Don. I'm pretty sure it was Phenylephrine HCl 10mg...Walgreen generic. But I took 2 morning of the accident for the first time. Had only taken 1 before. Also used some Mucinex nasal spray. I don't drink, smoke or consume anything to cause me to have an altered state ever, so things tend to hit me pretty hard. Always well hydrated onboard, too. Did have coffee each morning and no food.
I see. When you said "I took prophylactic Sudafed (bad move) in the AM which increased my heart beat which caused a spike in my blood pressure..." I erroneously thought you meant the original med: Pseudoephedrine. Yours is the one being substituted for the former in the familiar brand name boxes. Some like it better because it's easier to buy, don't have to show ID and sign, etc, while some don't think it works as well. Both decongestants have some cardiovascular issues.

No antihistamines? If you are going to take decongestants and/or antihistamines, it's good to learn about the doses, the chemicals, the side effects, and such - and take them at home first to check for reactions.

Back
Top Bottom