Punta Cana - Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brand0n

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm heading to punta cana march 10th I was wondering what the diving is like in the area? What type of diving is offered and if anyone has any experience with any of hte local operators please let me know how it was.

Thanks

I was there with my family about three years ago and dove through our resort, Bavaro Princess. The only dive I really enjoyed was the wreck of the Astron, pretty cool. Other than that, I found that the fine white ( beautiful ) sand, screwed up the vis. and there wasn't much to see as far as coral or fish.
There was day trips available to the caribbean side of the Dominican that were apparently much better but I didn't partake.
Enjoy the beach, it's one of the best I've ever seen.

Regards,
Steve

We went the end of October '05 and stayed at the Iberostar Bavaro. From the beach you could see the wreck of a freighter, the Astron, which is the dive I did. The dive op was attached to the resort, I no longer remember the name. The wreck was in shallow water, around 45' with vis in the 60' range. Basically, you board a skiff with your gear on along with 16-20 other people, ride for a few minutes to the wreck to begin an episode of follow the leader. Lots of twisted steel, but surprisingly devoid of marine life. The fact that it was an actual wreck instead of intentionally sunk, and visible from the beach(think pictures, 'Yeah, I dove that'...)made it a little bit cool. Mostly though I found the snorkeling and diving in the area unremarkable. Given your level of experience you might feel the same. I wouldn't however say it was a waste of time because I don't sit idle well.

The op also offered a day-long excursion to the southern part of DR known for good diving. Being there with a group, it didn't work for me to be gone for a full day, but I didn't mind too much considering it was a three hour bus ride each way. You'll understand that part after you ride from the airport to your resort.

Regardless of the diving hopefully you enjoy your trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom