Punta Cana, Dominican Republic Resorts and Dive Ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crum

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are looking for where to stay in Punta Cana. We want an all inclusive resort, with an on site dive operator. We have looked at the Occidental (Sea Pro Divers is the operator) and the Rui's, Barcelo Bavaro, and Melia Caribe (Scuba Caribe we believe is the operators) but are wondering if anyone has had any experiences with the hotels and the dive operators.

We are experienced divers, and have been alot of places in the Carribean and Central America (Bahamas, Grand Cayman, Curacao, Honduras, Belize, Cozumel - several times, and Cancun) and really are looking for a relaxing time diving and in the sun relaxing. We are not incredibly picky, but want a safe experience. Any help / advice / ideas will be very appreciated!!!!

Hopefully this was the right place to put this question, apologies if it is not!!!

I dove at the Occidental several years ago and thought that the diving was some of the worst I've ever done. The coral was almost all dead, visibility was terrible and there were no fish to speak of. If you're set on going to the DR and want OK (but still not great) diving, my sugestion would be to skip Punta Cana and stay in a different part of the country. If you're going mainly for the beach and the resort, the Occidental is fine.

My wife and I will be staying at the Iberostar Bavaro in Punta Cana April 19-26. I plan to take the Advanced Open Water course with Dressel Divers while there. We stayed at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso in the Riviera Maya in October where I received my open water certification, which is the reason we are going with Iberostar and Dressel Divers again. The accomodations at the Iberostar are top-notch and the instructors at Dressel Divers couldn't have been better. They were very professional, accomodating and patient. Even though there were several other divers at various stages in the class, I felt like I had a personal instructor at every step.

I personally haven't been diving in Punta Cana, but a friend of mine who has worked in few dive shop around Dominican Republic, worked in one located in Punta Cana and said that diving was not that great for experience divers. They organized some dive trip to Bayahibe and that was the highlight for him. Check the Bayahibe area at » Your Dominican holiday starts here…

So what if you're not THAT interested in the diving? (I guess I should explain that.) We're thinking of going to Punta Cana for a bachelor party. Nobody else dives but me.

I am a beginner diver with only about 20 dives logged. All I'm really looking for is a place to go underwater and see SOMETHING, then get to log a dive. If I tell the guys that I'm in favor of Punta Cana am I going to be able to find SOMETHING that'll be worthwhile?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom