Purchasing a camera in Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It's a long story. Ordered Olympus C-5050 with housing and the camera is a duffer. Leaving for Coz in 4 days.

Is there any chance we could get a C-5050 in Cozumel and would it likely be comparable price to the US or sky high? US prices right now range from 380 upwards.

Because this is an island, everything first is trucked then shipped by boat. Which the middleman takes a cut. Case of diet coke 13USD. Garden hose 60USD. I think it would be sky high....I think you can rent Cameras here that wont set you back that much..

DrSteve:
It's a long story. Ordered Olympus C-5050 with housing and the camera is a duffer. Leaving for Coz in 4 days.

Is there any chance we could get a C-5050 in Cozumel and would it likely be comparable price to the US or sky high? US prices right now range from 380 upwards.

I wouldn't even consider buying a camera here if that model is even available here. We don't have a plethera of shopping options anyway.

However, if you need to rent a camera or even have your camera looked at and/or repaired...I would absolutely recommend stopping by Island Photo and talk to Holly and/or Armando. They are literally pros and know their stuff and they are super friendly to top it off. Cameras and photography is their business. They are located in the center right in front of La Ceiba Hotel. They are open Monday through Saturday from 7:30 to 1:00ish, then again for a couple of hours in the evening.

I took my Nikonis in to get repaired this morning and it was bad...but if it can be fixed, Armando can fix it.

Good luck with your camra and have a great trip to Coz!

If you order from a reputable camera shop in the US like B&H and if you know where you will be staying, have them send the camera via Federal Express or DHL to you in Mexico. I have had several things overnighted to me in the Yucatan over the years without incident. Alert the front desk to watch for it. This way you get the good prices, have a US warranty and have it for the trip.

teamheatwave:
If you order from a reputable camera shop in the US like B&H and if you know where you will be staying, have them send the camera via Federal Express or DHL to you in Mexico. I have had several things overnighted to me in the Yucatan over the years without incident. Alert the front desk to watch for it. This way you get the good prices, have a US warranty and have it for the trip.

That would be great but I am sure it would get caught for import duty. We found out something very strange with the camera - the optical viewfinder is terrible when the camera is turned off...turn the camera on and it's as sharp as you would expect. This is the one time I didn't purchase form B&H...the $150 price difference swayed me away.

4 years ago I purchased a 35mm sealife camera from Michelles Dive Shop. Took it up the you know what! 380.00 for a camera ,I could have got in the states for 250.00 or less. Do not and I repeat DO NOT buy scuba equipment in Cozumel. Unless it is very necessary for your life! Prices are too high. I learned my lesson! You can rent a camera at any dive shop there. Rent Dont But Buy. Wait untill you get home.

DrSteve:

Is it your viewfinder when the camera is OFF? Mine, too, is fuzzy then but when camera is ON is perfectly fine...

Seems any reputable camera shop in the US should be able to overnight a new one to you?

teamheatwave:

I do not recommend this. An item like a camera could sit in customs for several days and you will get hit with import duties. You can bring a camera into the country without duty if it is physically with you, but if you have it shipped, you will have to pay duties. Additionally, IF it gets here while you are still on the island, you would have to go to customs and immigration to pick it up and sign for it. They won't deliver it to the hotel.

alcina:
Is it your viewfinder when the camera is OFF? Mine, too, is fuzzy then but when camera is ON is perfectly fine...

Seems any reputable camera shop in the US should be able to overnight a new one to you?
That's exactly what it is! Dee checked out her camera and it showed the same thing. I think it must be a camera design feature - just seems weird they do not mention it. The last Oly camera I tried to buy I called Oly and they said it wasn't normal (that was an older D series camedia)

Christi:
I do not recommend this. An item like a camera could sit in customs for several days and you will get hit with import duties. You can bring a camera into the country without duty if it is physically with you, but if you have it shipped, you will have to pay duties. Additionally, IF it gets here while you are still on the island, you would have to go to customs and immigration to pick it up and sign for it. They won't deliver it to the hotel.

Looks like we won't need to. Seems it is a design "feature" with the camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom