Purchasing an Oxygen kit and where to get O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I put together my own O2 kit for a heck of lot less than $300

I got the Med-E bottle used with new reg for around $25-$30. I coupled a constant flow mask (have o2 deco bottles for demand masks) with long hose for an additional $12. Adding a hydro ($11) and fill from my local gas supplier (no questions asked I might add) for $8. This was in Indiana.

Now, if I didn't have a pair of 45's with O2, I'd have gotten a demand mask as well as constant flow which would have added a bit to the cost. I went constant flow understanding the reduced efficiency as a tradeoff to the possible lack to 'complete' patient care. (somebody has to drive etc).

Remember, the point of personal O2 is to get the diver on hyperoxic gas as soon as possible and realize EMS will take over. Its better to have ANY O2 kit rather than wait for the best. A basic kit can be had for $50-$75.

in_cavediver:
Well, I put together my own O2 kit for a heck of lot less than $300

I got the Med-E bottle used with new reg for around $25-$30. I coupled a constant flow mask (have o2 deco bottles for demand masks) with long hose for an additional $12. Adding a hydro ($11) and fill from my local gas supplier (no questions asked I might add) for $8. This was in Indiana.

Now, if I didn't have a pair of 45's with O2, I'd have gotten a demand mask as well as constant flow which would have added a bit to the cost. I went constant flow understanding the reduced efficiency as a tradeoff to the possible lack to 'complete' patient care. (somebody has to drive etc).

Remember, the point of personal O2 is to get the diver on hyperoxic gas as soon as possible and realize EMS will take over. Its better to have ANY O2 kit rather than wait for the best. A basic kit can be had for $50-$75.
Agreed, but if I were putting a kit together an essential feature would be a DEMAND regulator, constant flow doesn't cut it, my spinal cord is too important to me for that.

but in fact, what makes the big difference between an on demand mask and an oxygen mask with reservoir bag? If used right in both cases it is near by 100% O2. And if right used the difference in consumption is also not THAT big.

Daniel

Glock Diver:
I'm interested in purchasing an O2 kit to have on-hand when doing local dives with just a buddy, and not on a charter. Since the majority of dive injuries call for the administering of O2 right away, it seems like the responsible thing to have. I've found some personal sized kits that include masks, reg, tank, etc for about $250-$300, but I'm curious to know where I would get the O2 tank filled. I live in Northern VA, if anyone in this area is aware of a place.

Thanks!

PS- I found these kits on galls.com (a good police/EMS supplier), but are there cheaper places to get an O2 kit?

If you have an O2 administration certification (like DAN) or an appropriate diving certification, VA Scuba in Manassas will fill your O2 cylinder. If you don't have the appropriate certification, we offer DAN classes:) every month.

Jackie

My understanding (and that's way open to change if you got new information) is that nothing except a demand regulator even approaches 100%.

you can also get up to nearby 100% with constant flow. I am a voluntary paramedic and we only have constant flow. but there are those oxygen masks with reervoir bag.
reservoir.jpg

the constantly flowing O2 fills the reservoir bag. when the patient takes a breath he takes it out of the reservoir bag. the constantly flowing O2 refills the reservoir bag. So more or less none of the O2 is lost, and the patient got nearby 100% O2.

It is not as good as the on-demand system, because a little bit O2 is lost, but it is much cheaper.

best regards
Daniel

My understanding is that those masks are lucky to break 70%. Anyone with hard data out there?

ok, if that is the case i would like to have those facts. (i am also open to change my mind:wink:)
i can just tell what we learned in our paramedic course.

Daniel

We wait for someone who knows more than we do.

I got mine through DAN also. I am a DAN instructor and I have a kit just for that as well. You'll need a prescription or usually the DAN O2 provider card will work.

If you call DAN, they will tell you who the O2 fillers are in your area.

For my D cylinder it costs $20.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom