Purchasing an Oxygen kit and where to get O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 2 size E O2 tanks and since I moved from Germany back to the states had to empty both, so here is my question. Do the tanks need any type of inspections ,like our air tanks, other then the visual from the filler? I f so who would/could do it?
They need to have a hydro every 5 years. No visuals required for (medical) O2 bottles.

I have been in EMS for 12 years.....If demand valves were so good, every ambulance and ER would be using them...They are NOT! We use the Masks that DeepB posted with the resevoir bag attached which via medically proven tests that put those masks at as close to 100% as you are going to get using any type of mask. Dont waste your money on a demand valve.
Do you have a reference/link for the tests?

I live in Northern VA, if anyone in this area is aware of a place.

Medical grade oxygen in Virginia does require a prescription. I am unsure how agencies other than fire/ems can obtain it.

As an EMT-B, I carry a reusable CPR mask (it contains a disposable filter) in my car, which has come in handy on numerous occasions. Just a note however, it's a good idea if feasible to get latex free equipment (gloves, etc) due to latex allergies in some patients.

Also Virginia has a Good Samaritan act which is good to read and understand just in case.
Virginia Good Samaritan Act (PDF)

I have been in EMS for 12 years.....If demand valves were so good, every ambulance and ER would be using them...They are NOT! We use the Masks that DeepB posted with the resevoir bag attached which via medically proven tests that put those masks at as close to 100% as you are going to get using any type of mask. Dont waste your money on a demand valve.

I'm going to try a dive shop here in Northern Virginia. I hear they will fill an O2 tank with the proper certification.

I've seen several refer to "medical grade Oxygen" in this thread. Is there a difference between "Medical Grade" and regular Oxygen?

I'm going to try a dive shop here in Northern Virginia. I hear they will fill an O2 tank with the proper certification.

I've seen several refer to "medical grade Oxygen" in this thread. Is there a difference between "Medical Grade" and regular Oxygen?

Here's my understanding and I don't claim to be an expert so please correct me if I'm wrong:

Basically the purity of the oxygen -- Cylinders for medical use are cleaned, and vaccuum pumped prior to being filled, removing all impurities.

Oxygen like you would have in your home shop for welding etc, cylinders are less clean and therefore the gas may not be as pure.

Aviation grade oxygen is dryer, the moisture removed -- this way the moisture doesn't condense and freeze at altitude.

I asked my local welding supply store about there oxygen. The answer was that ""technically" we dont have medical grade O2 but we have filled tanks for divers in the past."
Is this safe? It would sure cut down on the problems of getting O2 filled from a medical supply store.

All oxygen, of all grades, comes off the same cooling tower. The difference in grade is how they are handled after production.

You could buy something like this. Sure, the regulator is only 8 lpm instead of 15-25 lpm, but you could always replace the reg at a later time.

BRAND NEW E SIZE ALUMINUM OXYGEN TANK+ REGULATOR+MASK - (eBay item 230181376656 end time Oct-20-07 16:41:28 PDT)

I have a DAN kit, which I bought used off of craigslist. I filled it off of the welding O2 bottle that I use for nitrox mixing.

If you're bent, would you argue the differences between welding and medical grade O2 before sucking the bottle dry?

Not sure if this has been said b/4 cuz I'm too lazy to read thru the entire thread. I passed on buying the DAN kits b/c they are a ripoff. Actually used one b/4 and the demand valve sucked it diden't flow well and there was no purge button. Bought 2 kits off E-bay for less than I would have payed for the DAN. I have some left over stuff if anyone is interested. But I get fills at the local Ambulance place never a problem, and I don't have the cheesy O2 provider card

The demand valve is used to extend the oxygen time not increase the percentage. In EMS you have larger cylinders and more oxygen available then what someone might have on a boat.

Back
Top Bottom