Purchasing Gear for the First Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BKtraveler

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Greetings,

I am a fairly experienced diver who has never owned his own gear. Can anyone make any recomendations as to how I should go about making this purchase? What sort of things should I look for or avoid? I don't really know where to start. I have a healthy budget and will need all of the basic gear for a setup, will not presently be purchasing a camera or extra gadgets. If anyone has any particular suggestions or brands they like I would love to hear about it.

Also, is it not advisable to travel with my scuba gear in my rather large luggage? I was thinking that all could go in my luggage and I would take my regulator in my carry on. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
BK

i feel like someone who lists themselves as having over 1,000 dives should have enough experience with different sets of gear to know what they want.... be careful lying about being an "experienced diver".

to answer the question though we will need a better idea of the kind of diving you intend to be doing (cold, warm, fresh, salt, tech, overhead environments, etc...).

Always nice to own your gear. Especially if you have the funds to buy quality gear. I dive a Halcyon single tank back plate and wing with a SS backplate. That will distribute weight evenly across your back and minimize the weight needed to the weight pockets. Easier for you to be in trim. Not knowing if you have tried that style of BCD but it is a very comfortable rig. Simple. No plastic items that are considered failure points for us technical thinking divers. Purchase a high quality set of regs. Don't purchase one of those consoles with a pressure gauge/depth gauge/compass as a unit. Keep it simple and only a pressure gauge. Install a bolt snap to it and clip it off on your left chest D-ring. Clean simple set up. Nothing hangs down. Easy to check gauge. Always in its place. Shearwater Petral 2 computer with built in compass. First class computer. Everything else needed are easier choices. Fins - never split fins. You may want to learn to frog kick and how to swim backwards and split fins don't work for that. Hope this helps.

i feel like someone who lists themselves as having over 1,000 dives should have enough experience with different sets of gear to know what they want.... be careful lying about being an "experienced diver".

to answer the question though we will need a better idea of the kind of diving you intend to be doing (cold, warm, fresh, salt, tech, overhead environments, etc...).
I saw that too. But the heading will have lots of divers reading this posting. Might as well give some solid advise for those readers.

I and many others have learned, if you spend only enough to get fair gear, you are still 100% of the way away from great gear.
Scubapro regulators nearly always rank at the top of tests by leading magazines.
You will find many here go for back plate and wings and if starting out with as many dives as you claim, you might consider that as well. Nice for travel.
As for other gear, its dependent on the conditions, as mentioned above.

I and many others have learned, if you spend only enough to get fair gear, you are still 100% of the way away from great gear.
Scubapro regulators nearly always rank at the top of tests by leading magazines.
You will find many here go for back plate and wings and if starting out with as many dives as you claim, you might consider that as well. Nice for travel.
As for other gear, its dependent on the conditions, as mentioned above.
Excellent answer on the Fair gear/Great gear comment. I dive Apex regs. Believe them to be premium regs and as a cave diver I don’t choose gear based on cost but all on quality/reliability/track record.

yep I knew I was missing something I am interested in warm water recreational diving. These days I take 2-3 3 week trips a year. Cheers

Always nice to own your gear. Especially if you have the funds to buy quality gear. I dive a Halcyon single tank back plate and wing with a SS backplate. That will distribute weight evenly across your back and minimize the weight needed to the weight pockets. Easier for you to be in trim. Not knowing if you have tried that style of BCD but it is a very comfortable rig. Simple. No plastic items that are considered failure points for us technical thinking divers. Purchase a high quality set of regs. Don't purchase one of those consoles with a pressure gauge/depth gauge/compass as a unit. Keep it simple and only a pressure gauge. Install a bolt snap to it and clip it off on your left chest D-ring. Clean simple set up. Nothing hangs down. Easy to check gauge. Always in its place. Shearwater Petral 2 computer with built in compass. First class computer. Everything else needed are easier choices. Fins - never split fins. You may want to learn to frog kick and how to swim backwards and split fins don't work for that. Hope this helps.

Definitely helps. Have never tried that style of BCD but have heard great things. Will do some more informed research now. Cheers.

im with the bp/w crowd for bcd, feels great, works great and easy to replace worn out peices as the years go by. for warm recriational stuff get a lightweight aluminum plate and a small capacity wing (i have a mares xr aluminum with 17lbs wing that is great for travel).
the reg set should be easy to work on and im a fan of environmentally sealed (i currently use both sherwood and edge but lots of other good ones out there).
get neutrally bouyant fins since youll be wetsuit diving, and avoid split fins for sake of learning advanced fin techniques.
i prefer the mask with one lense all the way across as opposed to each eye having separated lense. also the "side windows" are nice for periferal view and letting in light. plus get the neoprene mask strap, you wont regret it.
roll up snorkels are cheap and keep things out of the way until needed.
wrist mounted computers are great but thats just my preferance. make sure it has hot swap battery capability, and good for nitrox.
for warm water a 3mm wetsuit is fine. shorties mess with trim and dont protect from stinging things, so full suits are better.
if youre going to get a tank, steel is better since you wont need much if any weight, and your center of gravity will be optimized. hp 80 or 100 is a good recreational size.
package deals are super convenient but looking for clearance or sale items on sites like divers supply or leisure pro are great ways to save a buck.

hope this helps. happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom