Purchasing own equipment online/lds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoupart:
So what's your model- do you guys concentrate on any specific areas? Do you feel there's any threat or problems with the online store competition?

Do I feel a threat from online? No....reason being is what most people dont understand is that most Vendors impose MAP pricing...meaning NO ONE can advertise that product cheaper if they are a authorized dealer.....And no one should be selling these products except an Authorized dealer.....So, as more and more vendors get on board with this, your online savings becomes nill.....because its the same MAP price I can offer in my store....or on my website...This is bringing everyone on a level playing field. If you want, check out my online store, take any product and try and find it cheaper from another online retailer.....Most likely you cant.....Except if its not an authorized dealer, refurb, damaged, etc.....

My model to me is simple...Diversify.....Im not tryint to make a living off of just equipment sales, or rental, or training, or service.....Im making a living off of ALL of them together....and then you add in Public Safety(underwater crime scene investigation, and Fire Depts.), kids programs, high schools, ymcas, etc...I dont want to give away everything i do...but I think you get my point.......Online retailers can only focus on one thing and that is, for the most part, equipment sales.....If they want to make little money on selling an item then thats fine....they may sell more.....doesnt bother me because I offer more and Im more valuable to the masses.........in more diviersified areas....

And its really is sad to hear some of the stories you guys have with you LDSs......Move to IL and I will show you how Dive Right In Scuba treats our customers!!! :D

:14:

leah:
This is why online stores are cheaper:
Transported directly from fairy land to the shipping company.

Then why don't they just transport it right to my door? :confused:

That may just be the best post I've read in a long time! Thanks Leah!

PS: Although I've bought accessories like knifes and a computer online, I'll probably hit my LDS first when I'm ready for a serious Life Support gear (regs + gauges and/or BC). That being said, I plan on walking in as well educated as I can be on the products and web pricing. IMHO: The LDS is entitled to make a profit in providing me product with their added value of pool use to try-before-I-buy, BUT they are not entitled to take advantage of me. I have a great relationship with my LDS for training and the basic "personal" gear thus far - I think they deserve a shot at the larger purchases too.

Dive Safe,
...steve...

That's pretty much what I believe, Mike- namely that if an independent shop is trying to make it on gear sales, they're going to be up against chains like Sport CHalet (out here in SoCal) and the online stores who do nothing BUT sell cheap gear. And a shop has to survive, as you have, by providing much, much more than basic equipment sales.

LOL....I havent survived yet.....I have only been in business for 6 months..... :) But the way things are going, I will be around for a very looooooong time :D Customer Service is the key to everything and I hope more LDSs and businesses in general can start figuring that out....

jpsexton:
leah, you have finally solved the LDS vs online debate!

:rofl3: :frlol: :laughing: :lol:

Well, I may have solved the online vs LDS debate, but now that I have called Leisure Pro and Scuba Toys famous Joe and Larry all fairies they might start charging me more!! LOL And then what will happen to me? Are you guys out there? Joe ???? Larry??? I meant no harm! Please don't cut me off!!

Anyway, costs vary from one type of business model to another. Both have building/space cost to some degree. But I often hear that the online guy has no brick and mortar. One has to spend more on keeping the store cozy, In the case of Scuba Toys and Leisure Pro, I understand they have a store that you can walk right into. LP is in pricey New York. Manhattan I think.

One has to spend more on someone competent to ship all over the place and get it right. Invoicing correctly and paying a credit card fee on every single order. One has to pay for 800 number service which can be costly and a phone system to handle the call volume.

If the LDS was taking care of business at home people would not be looking around. We read that all the time on this board. People say I find real value and service at my LDS and those guys are doing well. We also read that people don't get good service or fair pricing at their LDS, so they look else where.

Bottom line if you run your business well and provide great service and look out for your customer, people will become loyal to you. And then you will continue to earn their business purchase after purchase, no matter what line of business you are in.

For instance, I just dropped several hundred dollars at the vet yesterday on my beloved Buddy. I could have gotten it cheaper, but he really takes time with my animals and is always there to answer my questions. I like his staff. My cat was diagnosed with diabetes and is going to need a lot of on going care and the vet is going to make a lot of money off me. In fact, I had picked out a new bp/w and was going to buy it this week but the vet got my money. I feel good about taking care of my little guy. The vet thanked me for letting him care for my little guy. He said to call anytime I needed him or if anything drastic happened as we get his condition under control. He was not smarmy about what he charged and at least acted humble and grateful that I continue to do business with him. Anyway, lots of places in town I could do business with. My vet faces all sorts of competition and has found a way to make me feel loyal. I know other people who use the same vet and we all say the same thing. He is great at what he does and worth the premium that he charges.

It is the same for all sorts of business, restaurants, clothing shops and so forth. You must find a way to provide value to the customer that the customer thinks is valuable. If the customer doesn't think there is value then there isn't to that customer---PERIOD. I am always amazed when I watch Antiques Road Show at what they say stuff is worth. A lot of that stuff I would say you need to pay me to take it to the dump!! To others it has great value. So if the LDS wants to compete with the online store or the other way around--each must determine what the customer really wants and provide what is valuable to them. If you don't people will stop doing business with you whether you sell online or local.

One last thought, I tuned into the Scuba Toys store web cam. There are a lot of angry pointy red ears and red faces over there today. I apologize for upsetting anyone in the online fairy magic kingdom. Please don't use your fairy magic on me!! I like you guys I really do. I am sorry for outing your secret of how you guys do the magic you do.

I think you'll be successful if you treat your customers well and have a good helpful attitude, I bet you'll be WAAAY ahead of so many dive shops out there run by impersonal staffs.

stever2002:
Then why don't they just transport it right to my door? :confused:

That may just be the best post I've read in a long time! Thanks Leah!
Dive Safe,
...steve...

Well, if they flew right to the door, a lot of people would be freaked out and they didn't really want you to know the secret. I think I might be in a lot of trouble for telling.

Also, you know they are hitting you up for some shipping charges just to make competing with the local guys sporting. Fairies are mischievous like that you know. They like to toy with you like a cat and mouse.

May I make a suggestion to the LDS from a new diver.
Putting things in the proper perspective, it is in your best interest to be as helpful to the new diver as possible regarding gear, etc.
There are many downsides to purchasing ANYTHING online. Lets face it, its time comsuming, a pain in the butt, and most important-you don't get to see the product. And then you pray to god that its the right one.
Anyone that has a brain in their heads does not expect to go to a LDS, gain from their expertise in the sport, and get it all for free. Nothing is free-ever. I EXPECT to pay a bit more because of overhead etc, but not hundreds of dollars more FOR ONE ITEM.
Now what does the LDS get out of it?
It gets my loyalty, future business, dive trips, additional equipment purchases, and required maint. As I previously stated, we LOVE our LDS, and fully intend to be steady customers. We want to dive with a regular bunch, rather than hop from one LDS to another.
We have a LDS two blocks away, but elected to go to one 30 minutes away because we LIKED the people there and we feel THEY like us. And more important, we TRUST them and intend on patronizing them because of it. I can't stress the "trust" fact enough. After checking out some of the LDS in the area, I am amazed to find that they are still in business. They acted like a "members" shop.
Would it not be better to perhaps sell your equipment at a reasonable price and rely on the "rest" of the LDS services as your major source of income. Then when we want to perhaps upgrade we can purchase the gear from you, knowing that we aren't going to get dragged over the coals by the price.
Or am I missing something here?

Back
Top Bottom