Purchasing Own Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kybosh27

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new to scuba diving. I just finished up my PADI Open Water course and I'm pretty much hooked on the hobby. I did the resort course in Turks and Caicos and knew I had to come back to Michigan and try out the full class, which was great compared to learning everything in 45 minutes in the Caribbean. I'm looking at purchasing my own gear. Any advice as far as BCs, regulators, and wetsuits? I was looking at the Sherwood Avid which I tried on and was very comfortable, the Mares Dragon AT, and the Zeagle Ranger. Regulators I heard the Mares Abyss is pretty good. As far as wetsuits go, I tried on a Henderson Hyperstretch and it was pretty sweet how easy it was to get on. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Rent then buy

U can try them on in the store and think theyre alright but then get in the water with a 80 lb. tank and say youve hated them.

As far as wetsuits go, I have a Henderson Hyperstretch suit. It is easy to get in and out of and provides good warmth. However, Henderson Hyperstretch suits do not wear well. They start to look crappy pretty quickly. I already have a tear in my knee after just 10 or 15 dives and my suit is looking sad. I knew this before I purchased it that it would not wear well. I decided the comfort and easy of getting in and out of it were worth it to me over the suit looking good. I do love my Henderson Hyperstrech hood and it is wearing very well.

What ever other gear you purchase you should first check prices at:
www.scubatoys.com scuba board members get 10% off posted prices if you call & ask
www.leisurepro.com
www.golemgear.com
www.divesports.com

I am diving a Golem bp/w and it is working well for me. I spent a lot of time before I purchased it and tried many types of gear. Many divers are willing to let you take a short dip in their gear to see how you like it and how it feels to you in the water. My bp/w is not very comfortable on land, but in the water it feels like I am not wearing anything at all. I also like that it doesn't squeeze me when I inflate it. Some people like the squeeze and it gives them comfort---makes me feel a bit nervous. So two people can try gear and have the same response from the gear, and one will like it and one won't. Try gear to find what you like. Then when you finally buy you will have gear that you like, rather than gear that I like! LOL

Good luck to you

Don't be in a hurry to buy equipment you will use 3-4 times a year.

Can't see you diving in Michigan on a regular basis without THOUSANDS of dollars of equipment. The equipment you NEED to dive warn water is much different than the equipment you NEED to dive on an regular basis in cold water. Dry suits are big bux compared to a 3 mil shorty.

If you dive more than that and you plan on diving in the Carribean (warm waters) you need to think about the cost and hassel of transporting all that gear to and from.

Way better to rent till you know you will 1) stick with it long enough to wear our the expensive equipment you purchase and 2) know exactly what equipment you will need and use.

Everything I think I need now for my diving is over $2500 and yet when I dove in the Carribean I know I was wearing less than $1000 in gear and it all worked just fine.

Spend the money you have on renting gear for classes and trips.

Thanks for the response. Not sure how much diving I'll be doing in Michigan so sometimes it's hard to justify right now spending all the money. I do plan on going on some trips perhaps out to the Keys because my grandparents live out there. I may rent for a while before I purchase the gear. I would love to have an integrated weight system though for sure as oppossed to wearing annoying weight belts!

Thanks. Any experience with O'Neill wetsuits? It seems like I've heard that more than once about the Henderson wetsuits breaking down more easily than other brands. I guess there's tradeoffs with comfort.

I agree with Bvmjethead, not to rush too quickly. However my experiences renting in the Caribbean was not that encouraging. I was at a reputable dive shop, but rented a bc with its inflator valve stuck on; the regs my wife rented had a leaking hose ready to burst.

I would consider buying your own regs, and then possibly a bc. The regs are your lifeline, and changing your bc every time you dive will make it more difficult to get your buoyancy down. You can get a decent setup for well under $1000. A travel bc and reg set is not very bulky to travel with. Even if you ultimately decide not to buy, doing the research will educate you about these important pieces of equipment.

Keep in mind, though, that cold water equipment needs can be significantly different than what you would use on your vacation trips.

I agree, what you need for cold water diving and warm water diving will differ greatly. You also can not rely on rental equipment in warm water destinations, they do not have the same safety standards as in the US. A BCD and Regulator set-up are needed at a minimum. Most dive stores will let you try them out before buying, it's just a matter of your own needs, and ability. Once you make a comittment to dive cooler waters like myself, then try out different wetsuits, but I would recomend going drysuit. You can wear them year round just by changing the undergarments, and you can make those ICE dives to keep in condition through the winter months.
Good luck

Nudgeroni:
I agree with Bvmjethead, not to rush too quickly. However my experiences renting in the Caribbean was not that encouraging. I was at a reputable dive shop, but rented a bc with its inflator valve stuck on; the regs my wife rented had a leaking hose ready to burst.

I would consider buying your own regs, and then possibly a bc. The regs are your lifeline, and changing your bc every time you dive will make it more difficult to get your buoyancy down. You can get a decent setup for well under $1000. A travel bc and reg set is not very bulky to travel with. Even if you ultimately decide not to buy, doing the research will educate you about these important pieces of equipment.

Keep in mind, though, that cold water equipment needs can be significantly different than what you would use on your vacation trips.

Thanks! I keep hearing great things about the Zeagle Ranger. I think for sure I will buy my own regulator and BC so I can get my buoyancy down and not constantly have to use different equipment.

Rescuediver17063:
I agree, what you need for cold water diving and warm water diving will differ greatly. You also can not rely on rental equipment in warm water destinations, they do not have the same safety standards as in the US. A BCD and Regulator set-up are needed at a minimum. Most dive stores will let you try them out before buying, it's just a matter of your own needs, and ability. Once you make a comittment to dive cooler waters like myself, then try out different wetsuits, but I would recomend going drysuit. You can wear them year round just by changing the undergarments, and you can make those ICE dives to keep in condition through the winter months.
Good luck

Thanks! I think the wetsuit/drysuit purchase would be the biggest challenge as far as being able to use the gear in Michigan and then on trips. The equipment differs, but can't you use the same BC and regulator no matter where you dive? Really the only thing that's different gear wise is the suit right?

Back
Top Bottom