Purchasing Own Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kybosh27:
Thanks! I think the wetsuit/drysuit purchase would be the biggest challenge as far as being able to use the gear in Michigan and then on trips. The equipment differs, but can't you use the same BC and regulator no matter where you dive? Really the only thing that's different gear wise is the suit right?
That's more or less true. Any reg that will be suitable in the cold water of Michigan will work fine in the tropics, but the reverse isn't necessarily true.

kybosh27:
Thanks! I think the wetsuit/drysuit purchase would be the biggest challenge as far as being able to use the gear in Michigan and then on trips. The equipment differs, but can't you use the same BC and regulator no matter where you dive? Really the only thing that's different gear wise is the suit right?

Sort of. The better regs will come with features that perform better in colder water (environmental seals, etc.). As for BC, definitely try out a backplate and wing setup (commonly known as bp/w). This is a modular setup which can be used to dive a single tank, doubles, breaks down easily for travel, etc. Here's a couple of links where you can get a glance and learn about it more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backplate_and_wing

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=44812

They look uncomfortable but feel incredible underwater. Now that I've dove one, I'd really never go back to a jacket style.

kybosh27:
Thanks! I keep hearing great things about the Zeagle Ranger. I think for sure I will buy my own regulator and BC so I can get my buoyancy down and not constantly have to use different equipment.

The Ranger is a great bc, but may be a bit bulky for travel. If you like the Zeagle line, consider the Brigade (only from Scubatoys) and the Stiletto (if you are comfortable with a back-inflation model).

Good luck!

If you have to ask how much its going to cost you can't afford it, Rent gear until you know you are gonna use it often enough, then take out a loan for $5000-$10000. You might not need that much money right away but you will eventually.

NorthWoodsDiver:
If you have to ask how much its going to cost you can't afford it, Rent gear until you know you are gonna use it often enough, then take out a loan for $5000-$10000. You might not need that much money right away but you will eventually.

$5-10K? That's a bit steep. Reminds me of the time my friends and I were told we "needed" to spend $5K+ to take pictures underwater. Then we went diving and took pictures with a $400 cannon digital :D

Sherwood regs are very reliable and alot of rental companies love to use it because they are so tough..i personally use a sherwood maximus but the sherwood brut might be better for where you love. I have a sherwood avid and really love..but im planning to switch to a BW sooo if you are interested for a size large sherwood avid with fifty or so dives on it im willing to sell it for 250. zeagle ranger is a good bc but is little too big for travel: check out the zeagle brigade on scubatoys which has a smaller bc

I don't think brand name is too big a deal, unless you choose to make it one. Zeagle, Mares/Decor, Sherwood are all good stuff. Purchasing online will save you money now and cost you money later. My LDS is higher than most online shops, but he services all the equipment free of charge for the life of the equipment. I live in the midwest and only get in a few dives a year. Each year, before I start diving, I can go to his shop and jump in the pool with my equipment. If I encounter any problems, he fixes them free of charge (I pay for any parts needed, but labor is free). That's worth a lot to me, more than the difference in price I paid for the equipment. Also, he knows my equipment as well as I do. If/when I decide to upgrade, he gives me a good price on trade or helps me get a good price for third party sale of my used equipment. Additionally, he knows what I need to dive local & the tropics. Lastly, I can try out anything in the shop free of charge. Work with your local dive shop, try out the equipment in the pool and make a decision from there. A good working relationship with your local dive shop is worth a lot in terms of money, time, and confidence in your equipment. I agree you should have your own regs and bcd, especially if you plan to dive 3rd world countries in the tropics. I've seen some really crappy rental equipment in the Bahamas and Mexico. Weight integrated is very nice and so is pnumatic dump bcd (you hit a button at your waiste and all the air dumps at once, on your way to the bottom, no delay at the surface and no tying up one arm above your head dumping air). Back float vs jacket is a personal decision. I like jackets, some like backfloats, no big deal one way or another. As for ease of packing for travel, all dive gear is bulky, some a little bulkier than others, but again, no big deal. That would be among the last of my considerations. I'd rather have a big ol' bag full of stuff I like and am comfortable with than a slightly smaller bag full of stuff that's uncomfortable or that I just don't like. Suits are easy and cheap to rent. Try a few, see what you like and then decide if you want to buy or not. I've been diving 11 years and still don't own one. I have family in the keys like you do and don't need one there. Hard to get excited about muddy bottoms and bare rocks at home once you've seen the keys. I do dive some at home, but in 11 years I haven't paid enough in wetsuit rental to pay for one. Good luck in your quest for the right stuff and welcome to the sport. Be safe and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom