• No

Votes: 59 37.8%
  • User choice

Votes: 54 34.6%
  • No opinion

Votes: 11 7.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba6559

Reaction score
Hi,
Anyone have opionions (yeah, I know....I'm 'opening' myself 'up' here!) on PURGE VALVE MASKS? Our scuba agency INSISTS that we use Scubrpro purge valve masks for our OW 1 course. How's DIR feel about that? I have always been a low volume tech-style mask user....like the OMS tech mask. ????????????

You agency or shop insists on a specific type of mask?

Sounds more like a shop thing to me and I would be hunting for another shop. To me masks are extremely personal items. Everyone will have a favorite and some people are harder to fit than others. Some masks just will not fit on some peoples face structure.

My two bits.

Tom

yea, I know that - that many shops are into the GEAR SALES thing - this is where they make their money....so far, the shop has said that if they have to fit us (and have us TRY) 10 differant masks until we get one thats fits us right, they will do that, and even take back the used one(s) for full credit, even after used in the pool!

We all know that dive shops make their money off of GEAR SALES and not so much the scuba courses.

Its all about money guys!

IMO Purge masks are for people who haven't mastered the skill of mask clearing. It also creates another area that could be a problem during a dive IE just a small piece of sand or dirt in the valve and you have a not so fun dive...Friggincold

I vote NO.
Friggincold has a good point. I have seen others on the board claim to use them, mostly people with a mustache because of leaking.

Mike M

Well, this school is big on GEAR SALES...they push their gear and products....unlike PADI, NAUI or YMCA. if we hadn't ahd such a bad experience with YMCA last year, then I would have gone with them again. Almost went with PADI.

We didn't want to have to get imvolved with any agencies that required SWIM TESTS again, even though we had no problem with the YMCA's test, whcih was:

1. Swim 12 lengths of the pool (6 laps total)
2. Tread water for 15 minutes
3. Swim the entire length oif the pool underwater on one breath

See:

http://www.diversdiscount.com/frameset.asp?src=/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

(and I'm not talking about the warhammer manuever)

Hi Scuba 6559, and welcome to the boards,from NJ!
Regarding your situation-it seems to me like the dive "association" is more sales oriented than teaching oriented-but many of the other replies have addressed that.
Regarding the purge valve itself- that is an option that seems to go in and out of popularity in cycles. I recall in the early to mid 1970s that the "latest thing " in easy mask clearing was the purge valve. My first mask had one,and it worked fine. Several years later,when it was time for a new mask, purges were very rare-"out of favor"-too leaky, etc.
Now, I see the advertisements for them, as the "latest thing...", 25+ years later. I think it is your call, to purge or not.
Might I suggest-as many of the others have said-get the mask that fits you the best, and is the most comfortable. If it has no purge, good. If it has a purge- well, the next step is to decide if you want it to be operational (at least in 'the old days" you had option- you had to cut off little rubber /silicone(?) plugs for the purge to work.)
Let us know what you do.
Good luck,
Mike

Vermont? Wow, I am from near Albany, NY but now reside near Syracuse, NY. Small world! You guys have True Blue up there - what can you tell me about it? never dove it - yet.

???

After gaining a little experience in the OW training classes and on some actual dives, I find that clearing my non-purge mask has pretty much become second-nature. I've never tried the purge-type masks, so I can't really give a balanced comparison, but it does seem like another potential point of failure that really doesn't buy you much.

Hey Scuba6559,

Welcome from a fellow syr. area diver. I believe I trade at the LDS you are using as they are the only scubapro dealer n the area. Are you sure they said you have to have Scubapro, as they sell more than one mask style or manufacturer. They do prefer you to have a purge style mask but if you don't they still teach as it is your choice. Many of the younger students or the scubarangers do not fit in a purge mask and I use an Oceanic frameless for a second mask.

Glad you stayed wit diving after having a less tan pleaseant tme with a different agency.

good luck

chuckrt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom