• No

Votes: 59 37.8%
  • User choice

Votes: 54 34.6%
  • No opinion

Votes: 11 7.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find it interesting that they required a mask w/ purge. My LDS allows any mask, but a purge is not allowed until after OW certification.

Jarhead

I am a tech diver, and although we observe the DIR philosophy, we do not adhere to it 100%. That said I can tell you that DIR guys would say the purge mask is a "failure point" and would not be used. You do what you feel is right for you and get the mask that fits properly. Safe diving!

I forgot to address the fact that your LDS is requiring you to use a purge valve mask.............WHAT!!!! Absolutely not, they should under no circumstances tell you what type of mask to use, get one that fits your face and that you are comfortable wearing, no matter what they say, maybe look for another dive shop. Safe diving!

Hey 6559,
Glad the story had a happy ending. Sounds like you were already experienced but just taking a refresher??? Just curious about your previous bad experiences & why it drove you from a prior situation? (PMing is ok) You don't sound like the kind who would have a problem with swim requirements. Guess it's kinda off-topic, but I like to know what students get turned off by (other than by aggressive equipment sales.)

Yet another "push-the-button-get-a-cert-card" types, I see. :rolleyes:

Every so often, we have some neophyte come on this board, complain about how hard their OW class is, then espouse their love of DIR. Hold up!

1) You want to scuba dive, but are put off by being required to swim 6 laps and tread water for 15 minutes? That's plain stupid, my friend. Basic watermanship is an absolute requirement for safe diving. You don't have to be an olympic swimmer, but you damn well better be able to tread water for 15 minutes, or you're going to get killed out there in the ocean.

2) If you don't even have a OW cert yet, you really need to keep your opinions of DIR to yourself, even if they're positive. There simply is no way that you, without even a cert. dive to your name, can understand, appreciate, or expound upon anything involved in those three letters. I suppose I can understand the desire for a newbie to find some "crowd" to "hang with" immediately upon entering a new hobby, but get a freaking life. You and DIR are currently as related as apples and bananas. Why don't you go to GUE to learn DIR? Oh, wait --- you'll complain and walk away because, *gasp* they'll want you to be able to *swim*!

Sheesh.

- Warren

Accurate, but harsh.
It has been said before but I am going to repeat it. If a dive store says you can't use your own gear, you have to buy theirs, unless they are talking about something you are using that is UNSAFE, they are full of sh*t and should be avoided at all cost. I realize that they make their money buy selling gear, but there is a very clear line between selling a product and lying to a student and forcing them to buy your product. If you cross that line you should not be in business, period.

Got because of replaceable lenses. Had sea vision put in my RX. I miss my previous mask w/o the purge. Haven't had a problem with the leaks yet but see it as an uneeded addition. I did have it rubbing the bottom of my nose but cut the little silicone spike off a little bit. Now, no problem unless it rises up on my face, which just means it is positioned wrong and I adjust.

So, have one, but don't like or dislike it. If I had a choise to have the mask w/o it,I probably would go w/o.

I have tried several types of masks, and the purge type is the easiest for me to clear. I recently purchased an Ocean Master Equalizer Z4 which fits perfectly. Ocean Master masks come with their patented "Q strap" which not only makes the mask easy to take on and off, but it makes the mask virtually without leaks.

During my last weekend of diving, I lost the small triagular purge valve cover. After calling Ocean Master directly and ordering six replacements for my save-a-dive kit, they sent me a pack of ten (within two days) and charged me only for the shipping. This is a company that stands behind their products and cares about their customers.

I also dive with an Ocean Master Flex Dry snorkel, another high quality piece. I highly recommend Ocean Master products.

and the more comfortable one is the regular mask. The purge mask made my nose hurt and bleed the last time I wore it and I haven't worn it since.

I got a seavision because it was one of the cheaper prescription masks. Now I have a purge and rose colored glasses. Didn't really notice any difference other the valve rub on my nose. As far as the rose color, it seems to correct some but I wouldn't actually pay extra for it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom